Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 acp load using Clays

mississaugagunnut

On the issue of inconsistent powder drops, I have experienced this using Clays out of my RCBS powder drop. Clays has a fairly large flake size. I have found that if my stroke is not 100% consistent that I will get variation in excess of +/- .1gr. I imagine with the additional moving parts that it is more difficult to maintain a 100% consistent stroke on the powder measure on the Dillon.

I prefer to load WST in my 45 ACP for this reason, but I do still use Clays and a 185gr bullet for Steel Challenge in my 1911 because the gun shoots very well with that combo.

This is very true. I've loaded a lot of Clays on a 550 and you have to be consistent pulling the handle. A fairly stern downward stroke to actually shake the powder out of the measure. At least thats sort of how I think of it because the size of the powder flakes. Edited by doc88

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the issue of inconsistent powder drops, I have experienced this using Clays out of my RCBS powder drop. Clays has a fairly large flake size. I have found that if my stroke is not 100% consistent that I will get variation in excess of +/- .1gr. I imagine with the additional moving parts that it is more difficult to maintain a 100% consistent stroke on the powder measure on the Dillon.

I prefer to load WST in my 45 ACP for this reason, but I do still use Clays and a 185gr bullet for Steel Challenge in my 1911 because the gun shoots very well with that combo.

This is very true. I've loaded a lot of Clays on a 550 and you have to be consistent pulling the handle. A fairly stern downward stroke to actually shake the powder out of the measure. At least thats sort of how I think of it because the size of the powder flakes.

I can't say I remember having trouble with Clays metering on my RL550B. I am having trouble with small charges of Promo, which looks like a darker version of Clays.

This is very true. I've loaded a lot of Clays on a 550 and you have to be consistent pulling the handle. A fairly stern downward stroke to actually shake the powder out of the measure. At least thats sort of how I think of it because the size of the powder flakes.

I can't say I remember having trouble with Clays metering on my RL550B. I am having trouble with small charges of Promo, which looks like a darker version of Clays.

I would always have a 0.2-0.3 variance until I read on the BE forums about the same problem. The above mentioned remedy solved the problem though. Still may get a 0.1 difference from time to time. I generally don't worry about that too much.