Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with Winchester Sx2/FN SLP Barrel Problem

Turtle

I have an older Winchester Sx2 Practical that is marked 3" on the receiver and came with the 22" cantilever mount barrel. I bought a 26" FN SLP barrel but it does not fit into the receiver. After looking at a bunch of pictures I discovered that some barrels ave a locator pin at the 12 o'clock position on the barrel extension and some do not. My receiver does not have the cut out for the pin. Does anyone know what barrel fits in my receiver (one with out the slot for the locator pin)?

Thanks.

The SX2 practical barrel I have does have the locator pin. One of my SX3 barrels also has the locator pin, but the other doesn't.

22" 3" chamber SX2 Practical on top (I cut the cantilever mount down into a sight ramp and serrated it)

24" 3" chamber SX3 "turkey" barrel middle

28" 3.5" chamber SX3 barrel bottom

Both 3" barrels are interchangeable, there has been some debate as to the compatibility of the SLP/SX2/SX3 barrels, but both of them work fine on my 3" SX3 I use for 3-gun.

post-32969-0-39285100-1371253571_thumb.j

Here is another view.

22" 3" chamber SX2 Practical on top (I cut the cantilever mount down into a sight ramp and serrated it)

24" 3" chamber SX3 "turkey" barrel middle

28" 3.5" chamber SX3 barrel bottom

The barrel extensions on all 3 have the same dimensions. Both SX3 barrels have two locations for the ejector pin. The 3" chamber uses the forward position and the 3.5" chamber uses the rearward. The SX2 barrel (identical to the SLP) has only the forward position.

post-32969-0-19086400-1371253616_thumb.j

The SX2 barrel is not back-bored and it uses standard invector chokes. The outside of the barrel is also larger in diameter: the SX3 forend has to be forced over the barrel. The smaller bore diameter and the heavier wall make this barrel shoot lights out with fiocchi slugs.

The SX3 barrels are both back-bored from the factory (.742) and use invector-plus chokes.

Thanks a lot for the info. I called around to a lot of places and didn't get much help. I spoke to several different folks at Winchester and they were kinda stumped...

I don't know if it's because my gun is "special" or what. It's 12 years old and was the first run of the SX2 Practical. It's marked 3" Magnum on the receiver just aft of the ejection port but apparently it's cut like a 3 1/2" gun since it doesn't have the pin cutout.

I sent the SLP barrel back to Brownells and ordered a 24" vent rib from LG Outdoors. I was told by Winchester that that specific part number (611123353) would fit my gun, after they checked the serial number. I fear that it too will have the pin on it when it arrives. I think I'm just going to remove it and use it anyway...

Thanks again for your help!

I looked up the part number and that is the same barrel that I have (middle in the photos). Truglo sights, extended XF ported choke. You should be able to remove the pin in a few minutes with a file.

I need to get my hands on a Browning Gold or Maxus and see how those barrels compare, they may be additional options for those of us with FN shotguns.

I looked for Browning barrels as well (gun broker) and didn't see any. I had no idea that these barrels were as scarce as this, otherwise u would have kept my 22"er...

I should have the new barrel on Wednesday, I'll post my results. Thanks again for the info.

• 7 months later...

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but this comes up in my Google searches and seems like an appropriate place to ask...

I have a Super X2 3" Magnum that I bought with a rifled barrel. I don't have much use for a rifled barrel so I sold it and bought a 28" FN SLP barrel that fits just fine, as I expected. I also bought a 24" SX2 barrel with a 3.5" chamber. Based on some research on some other websites, I expected the 3.5" barrel to fit on my 3" receiver just fine.

I partially based that on sprayandpray's comment:

The 3.5" barrel fits and works on the 3" shotgun, but it still will not work with 3.5" shells due to the difference in the ejection ports.

3" SX3 ejection port shown

Problem is, it doesn't go in all the way and I can only just barely get the barrel nut on.

Here is the 3.5" chamber barrel in as far as it will go. The vent rib is what is stopping it from being inserted any further.

bOOVNcsl.jpg

Here is the barrel "extension" (I'm not sure of the proper term) that is not seated completely inside the receiver. The 3" barrel seats completely without the gap shown here.

Ryclwz3l.jpg

Here are the two barrels 3.5" chamber on top, 3" chamber on the bottom.

1kQlFLhl.jpg

I have measured and compared every conceivable dimension between the two barrels and the only difference, aside from the chamber, that I can find is where the vent rib starts.

So, now the question.... can I just cut off 1/4" or so of the vent rib so the barrel seats all the way? Anyone think this is an exceedingly bad idea? Of course, I would only be shooting 3" or shorter shells from this combination. Also any ideas on how to move the ejector pin to the forward 3" position or just leave it where it is?

sprayandpray - do you have any input on what I'm seeing based on your experience? Does your 3.5" barrel seat fully in your 3" receiver?

Thanks!

Yes, my 3.5 barrel seats fully on the shoulder inside the receiver and the barrel nut goes on fully. I don't see removing the rib material causing any problems but you mentioned 'just barely get the barrel nut on.' Are you sure the gas chambers/barrel lugs are in the same place?

I have a vent rib 24" (I think) for an SLP that I am going to sell when I get home, I'll be back Monday and see if it has the the pin or not and what chamber it is in if you want, I can send you some pictures. and measurments

Edited by kurtm

Ok, this is what I got. It is a 24" SLP//SLP Mk 1 barrel with 3" chamber. It is 4 1/4" from start of rib to the back of the centering tab on the back of the barrel. It does have a pin on the top 7/8" back from the start of the rib. It has a light modified extended choke and has been cut for an XS rear sight and installed by Red Neck TacticalT. It also has a high vis competition sight installed as well and was dead on with Remington RR slugs at 50. If that helps you you let me know.

• 5 years later...

Jeffmx5

Did you ever cut your vent rib down?

If so how did it turn out.

I have the same problem

Putting a 24" field barrel for 31/2"  from a super x3 on a super x2 with 3" chamber.

I have the same 1/8th " difference.

I know this is an old thread so hopefully I can still get an answer.

THANKS KENN

• 2 weeks later...