Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Having trouble making major with 115gn 38 Super and VV3N38

jpasterjak

Recently switched from a 550 to a 650 and just recently started loading my own 38 Super. I've had no issues with my .40 loads on the press. Once I got the formula down they come out clean and chrono very consistently.

But I've having fits with my 115gn 38 super loads. I've never loaded 38S before, so I don't know if there's some esoteric factor I'm overlooking. But I'm up to 10.2gn of VV 3N38 in a 1.245" cartridge with 115gn Ranier hollow points and WSR primers and they're still only at about 1380fps (need 1435 for major, of course).

What should I be looking at? That seems like a heavy charge compared to some other data I've seen.

Thanks.

I would first get some bullets that are not plated. You can use 115 jhp from Montana Gold or others. Plated bullets will do all kinds of bad things at major power factor, especially with 115 s that you are loading to 1380 fps or so.

I had absolutely ZERO problems with 115 rainiers in my 38sc, performance/reliablility-wise. Accurate and no issues. The problem I have with 115's is my gun has 4 poppel holes so making major with ANY 115 is a chore. With 3n38 I was at 10.9 gr at 168pf. Too close for my comfort zone for a major match. The case was pretty full so loading was slow. I have no problems with 121/124/125.

I've also used Rainiers in my 44mag for quite a few years.

Paul, if you were at 10.9gn then it sounds like I'm on the right track at 10.2gn and about 60fps too slow.

The problem with getting other bullets is, well, getting other bullets. I normally use 124s and I have enough of those already loaded for another year of major matches with no worries in the tech shed. But a good deal came along on these 115s, and these days it's a little hard to be too picky. They'll probably just get used for local matches, but I'd at least like to have them shooting somewhere close to legal.

Paul, if you were at 10.9gn then it sounds like I'm on the right track at 10.2gn and about 60fps too slow.

The problem with getting other bullets is, well, getting other bullets. I normally use 124s and I have enough of those already loaded for another year of major matches with no worries in the tech shed. But a good deal came along on these 115s, and these days it's a little hard to be too picky. They'll probably just get used for local matches, but I'd at least like to have them shooting somewhere close to legal.

Yep. I use mine for practice and local matches.. Work slowly. Work your load up slowly and load slowly or you'll have powder popping out of the cases.