Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Polish left in cases ?

sandrooney

This is why I run the tumbler with just polish in the corn for about 5 mins before adding brass. If it's just a little polish you'll be fine but make sure there is not a clump of media down in the case. That could cause pressure problems

I agree with Sarge. I take it a step further though. I put on some latex gloves or put my hands in a couple sandwich bags, put my hands in the media while its tumbling, and rub my hands together to break up the was clumps. That way, i can be sure that no clumps will get stuck in a case.

There is also some brass that clean manually. I think the headstamp is CBC (im at work). The CBC stuff has some kind of adhesive, or some kind of residue right where the projectile was seated, that would cause the corn or walnut to stick to the side of the case wall. I used to blame it on the wax not getting broken down enough, but then i realized what it really was and started scrubbing the inside of the case with a small round wire brush. If the brass wasnt as good as it was, i would have just tossed it.

per Sarge, I also run my thumbler with just the polish for several minutes. Before I dump in my dirty brass, I make sure there are no clumps of media.

If you only have a few brass with metal polish, you can just use cotton buds with a bit of denatured alcohol or mineral spirits to take it off. If you have a bunch of brass with the polish, run them again in the thumbler without any polish.

I don't know how much, a friend of mine did them for me. I am just going through them and cleaning the afflicted ones out by hand.

It probably wouldn't hurt to load them as they are but I would lose sleep over it.

SR

I use Nu-Finish and when I get to the end of a container I put about three ounces of rubbing alcohol in the bottle to try and get all the polishing material out. You can look at the container with a bright light behind it and see the deposits, shake bottle until you get it all loose. The alcohol will evaporate out of the fine walnut hull and you get all the polishing material.