Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Too little bell shaving / too much bell not chambering

diablodawg

First time setting up .40 on my 650- running a EGW sizing die, Dillon everything else. I'm loading BBI 180s in mixed brass with OAL of 1.135 (Glock 24.)

I am finding that if I run basically no bell I can chamber all the rounds, but it shaves off a bit of lead as the bullets seat, plus bullets are falling off en route to the 4th station.

I tried belling the brass at the powder die, but even very tiny amounts of bell I can only get the finished round halfway down the chamber.

I am running a LW 6" barrel, but it has been reamed for the rounds I used to make on my 550 using the same dies. I tried crimping a bit, but no dice.

Any ideas?

I cant contribute

your so lucky , I lived in yucca valley awhile ago, loved it, did not shoot back then, I was neck deep in rock climbing.

I think you need some more crimp.

The shaving are probably causing it not to chamber. You must have more bell so that it is not shaving the coating. Please go to our website at www blackbulletsinternational.com and go to the loading tips page. Follow the instructions on how to setup the crimp.

Another question - What press and dies (at each station) are you using?

The shaving are probably causing it not to chamber. You must have more bell so that it is not shaving the coating. Please go to our website at www blackbulletsinternational.com and go to the loading tips page. Follow the instructions on how to setup the crimp.

The coating must not be shaved or it will lead to leading in the barrel.

That's the issue- shaving = chambering alright; bell/no shaving = not chambering. Press is a Dillon 650 with EGW U-Die at station 1, Dillon powder die at 2, nothing at 3, Dillon seat die at 4 and Dillon crimp die at 5. I will go the website when I get home tonight, thanks for the help.

Run them through a Lee Factory Crimp Die. There is a carbide sizing ring that ensures every round will chamber. You can also easily adjust the amount of crimp you want to apply. You can apply no crimp and still get the benefit of the sizing ring.

Had the same problem with shavings after getting my 550 repaired (bent shellplate!).

Not enough bell at the powder die to prevent shavings, fixed that by adjusting it down as much as the powder arm would let it go.

Adjusted crimp from scratch to just past point of not being able to push the bullet in by hand, now it's perfect.

Dillon fixes everything!

• 4 weeks later...

I had issues with shavings when I first set mine up. Using all Lee dies. I wanted to have a bigger bell for the bullet feeder. If you make the bell too large, the bullet drops too much and I was getting the edge of the bell hung up on the crimping station. Just took some time messing with the powder drop station and about 20 empty cases later, was able to get the right formula. Load enough, you become a master tinkerer and press mechanic.