Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking at a secondary powder to N320, Help!

XDman

So, since N320 is like finding the Easter Bunny, I am looking at comparable powders to the N320 in terms of clean burning for a MG 124 CMJ load to make minor PF. So, from your experience, what other powders, that may be more available than N320, would you recommend? Would the same powder work well in a 40S&W for Major PF?

I agree titegroup will work good for both 9mm 124g and .40 I much prefer N320 but had to switch to titegroup myself and for the price/availibility and the results I'm getting I might just stick with titegroup

I will add that Titegroup burns VERY hot and is somewhat dirty compared to N320....... it's main benefit is ease of availability. The only other load I have used has been W231, but probably would steer you toward either Titegroup or some of the other powders mentioned as well.

I hope this helps. I have used N320 for the last 8 years. Love it. However, with availability being scarce...understatement, and expensive I started testing other powders. I was using N320 for 9mm minor loads for my wife, .40 major for my limited gun, and .45 cap major for my single stack gun. Well, I finally tried Ramshot Competition and it is fantastic! I literally use the same powder charge weight in all of my above listed loads and get 10-20 fps increase in velocity with much more consistent/ narrower extreme spreads. Depending on which burn rate chart you look at they are almost interchangeable. My experience is that they are intchangeable but as always...use caution and find out for your self.

Two things regarding it both pro and con. It's much cheaper and much moe readily available. Burns relatively clean too. However, it stinks...subjective..I know. It's a very small/fine powder so tends to stick to the inside of my powder hopper when the air is dry and there is a lot of static in the vicinity of my loading space. I only notice the smell in indoor ranges or when doing stand and shoot stages.

I probably couldn't recommend a better replacement for N320. I like N320 but am giving up on it for all the reasons listed.

Hope that helps. YMMV

Cheers623

DVC

I hope this helps. I have used N320 for the last 8 years. Love it. However, with availability being scarce...understatement, and expensive I started testing other powders. I was using N320 for 9mm minor loads for my wife, .40 major for my limited gun, and .45 cap major for my single stack gun. Well, I finally tried Ramshot Competition and it is fantastic! I literally use the same powder charge weight in all of my above listed loads and get 10-20 fps increase in velocity with much more consistent/ narrower extreme spreads. Spending on which burn rate chart you look at they are almost interchangeable. My experience is that they are intchangeable but as always...use caution and find out for your self.

Two things regarding it both pro and con. It's much cheaper and much moe readily available. Burns relatively clean too. However, it stinks...subjective..I know. It's a very small/fine powder so tends to stick to the inside of my powder hopper when the air is dry and there is a lot of static in the vicinity of my loading space. I only notice the smell in indoor ranges or when doing stand and shoot stages.

I probably couldn't recommend a better replacement for N320. I like N320 but am giving up on it for all the reasons listed.

Hope that helps. YMMV

Cheers623

DVC

Edited by cheers623

I have loaded N-320 for 15 years and tried Ramshot Competition when I could not get N-320. It is now my go to powder for 40 S&W 180 gr Major loads and 9 mm Minor 124 gr loads. It is a great clean burning powder and produces very consistant loads.

For .40,American Select or Solo 1000.American Select is all I'm using right now. Very clean powder. I really like it.

Have you tried it in 9mm or .38 ?

I haven't, but I'm sure it would work just fine.

Alliant had published data for 9mm and .38 on their site.

Ramshot Comp works well to, very clean out of my 9. Cleaner than S1K.

4.2 Gr

124 MG-JHP

Mixed Brass

CCI

129PF

I have no input on the 40SW.

Somewhere on here, I saw Doug Carden compare the MG JHPs to the XTP HPs. On Ramshot's website, the max load they have for the 124gr XTP is 3.0gr at 1.060" OAL. They also have a max load of 3.5gr for the 124gr Golden Saber bullet at an OAL of 1.145"; is everyone loading this far over the published data for this powder?

OK, thanks for the input. Looks like the following powders are popular and more available now than N320:

WST

Ramshot Comp

N340

I have some WST on order, and will try to pick up some of the Ramshot and N340 to try.

For the 3 powders, what load data for a 124gr MG cmj bullet for minor pf?