Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Digital Pro chrono readings

Craig N

I am loading a 180 grain lead bullet over 2.8 to 3.0 grains of Clay. My lee measures on volume so it varies a little but usually what I measure when I spot check is 3.0. I load right off the Hodgdon data with COL at 1.125" and it gives 732 as the Velocity. I get an average of 793 for 10 shots at 10 feet.

My question is does this seem reasonable from a Glock 35 with factory barrel? I know the longer barrel will give more fps since most data is taken from a 4 inch barrel (doesn't say on the site what they use so I just assume based barrel length from other manuals). But 61 fps more seems a little excessive to me but I could be wrong so that's why I am asking.

In my experience the load data from the various books/manufacturers is a good starting point, but what really counts is your measured results with your gun (chrono, shooting for groups,evidence of pressure signs, etc.) when you load with your components and equipment.

I wouldn't worry about the delta between what you measured and the published load data as long as you aren't getting any pressure signs. Lots of variables could account for the less than 10% difference you are seeing, including chrono error.

BTW - Good on you for checking your loads with a chrono, to me it is one of the necessary items for reloading.

My question is does this seem reasonable from a Glock 35 with factory barrel? I know the longer barrel will give more fps since most data is taken from a 4 inch barrel (doesn't say on the site what they use so I just assume based barrel length from other manuals). But 61 fps more seems a little excessive to me but I could be wrong so that's why I am asking.

Yes, it's entirely reasonable. No need to distrust your chrono in this instance!

Mike