Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unburned Powder Flakes with N320?

NacsMXer

I just got done shooting my Beretta 92 Elite II, I was testing out some new handloads using VV N320 powder. This is my 1st time using N320 btw. When I got done shooting I noticed I had a lot of unburned powder remnants covering my forearms.

Specs on this load:

- New Starline brass

- Montana Gold 124gr JHP bullets

- 4.0 gr of N320

- CCI small pistol primers

- OAL of 1.120"

- Crimp set to 0.3765-0.377"

Would upping the charge weight to 4.1 or 4.2 grains help with the unburned powder flakes? I don't normally see this much when I use W231 or HP38.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Get over it, N320 is a really good powder for 9 mm minor. If you are at 135pf just stay where your are, if not your load is to weak anyway. With my Shadow I never get unburned powder with N320, mostly us Win SPP.

Sir,

I have been using 4.2 gr VVN320 w/ a 124/5 gr FMJ in a Beretta 92 for some time and I never notice any unburned flakes. However, I haven't looked either.. The gun is very clean always.

Sir,

I have been using 4.2 gr VVN320 w/ a 124/5 gr FMJ in a Beretta 92 for some time and I never notice any unburned flakes. However, I haven't looked either.. The gun is very clean always.

Thanks for sharing that. I'm going to see how 4.2 does the next go around. My gun was pretty clean as well, but the flakes were covering my forearms. It looked like I had been seasoned with ground pepper lol! It just seemed a little excessive.

Edited by NacsMXer