Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most Efficient Orientation for Scope Magnification Throw Levers

I thought it might be interesting to do a poll to see how 3-gunners orientate their scope throw levers (ie, Switchviews and Cat Tails). Basically, it's kind of a minute equipment setup question.

IMPORTANT: Some scopes rotate from the Left (lowest mag) to Right (highest mag) and others rotate in the opposite direction, so I opted to create multiple polls. Take the one that applies to you.

And don't miss Question #3!

Finally, if your only experience is with a fixed-position lever due to scope design, please think twice about taking the poll since you obviously haven't been able to play with it to find the BEST mounting position-- but take the poll if you've given the question sufficient thought and vote for the position you would PREFER.

Discussion as to WHY you chose your orientation would be appreciated. (ie, "I orientate my lever at the XX o'clock position because I'm right-handed, and I prefer to adjust my magnification with my trigger hand" vs. "I orientate my lever at the XX o'clock position because I'm right-handed, and I prefer to adjust my magnification with my weak hand.")

I really wanted to include separate polls for left-handed users, but I'm only allowed three questions and the poll started to get too complicated. Being a lefty, I'm curious to hear specific discussion from them to see if the mounting position is different for those amongst us who are in our right minds. (Hee, hee... get it?)

Thanks!

J

Edited by jkrispies

I have a scope that can be set to be under 1x on the lowest setting. This "under" 1x is really weird looking to me when set like that, so I decided to make the throw lever be a stop so that the scope can not be set to under 1x. Thats what positioned that lever on that scope. (about 4 oclock right to left throw)

Interestingly, so far only 1 out of 3 of those taking this poll simply set the mid magnification at 12 o'clock, which I suspect is how the majority of "it makes my gun look cool" types do it. The majority set the low at 8 or 3 depending on which direction the ring rotates.

Still curious (and what this doesn't show) is how left- or right-handedness affect the choice.

The poll requires that you give an answer to both right to left and left to right rotation.

And neither one has Does Not Apply, so since my scope is Left to Right, I would have to put in a bogus answer for left to right and screw up your poll.

Redo the poll and make 1 and 2 one big question.

Edited by Pinecone