Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DIY Bluetooth Interface for ProChrono Digital

On 6/11/2017 at 4:13 PM, Bobdirt said:

I was able to get CE's Digital Link app to work with the HC-06 by changing the HC-06's name:

"AT+NAMEDigital Link"

After this, their Android App connects to the HC-06.

Enjoy :-)

Excellent!

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 10/28/2017 at 7:50 AM, llevola said:

I get the App to initially find the HM-10 bluetooth module (after named "Digital Link") on both Android and iOS. But then after going forward to the Shots list, the bottom of the screen reads "Chronograph disconnected". Baud rate was successfully changed also. What am I missing?

That's a tough one. Just guessing here, but it sounds like either the Bluetooth connection is dropping or the app is crapping out because it gets an unexpected response from the chronograph.  It's possible something like a Bluetooth power saving function is a contributing factor.

On 10/28/2017 at 4:50 AM, llevola said:

I get the App to initially find the HM-10 bluetooth module (after named "Digital Link") on both Android and iOS. But then after going forward to the Shots list, the bottom of the screen reads "Chronograph disconnected". Baud rate was successfully changed also. What am I missing?

M852 might be onto something with the sleep mode of the HM-10.  It's low-power sleep mode appears to be somewhat different from the HC-06.  Best way is to try turning it off:

HM-10 sleep auto sleep mode disable:  AT+PWRM1

Either way I would suspect some difference between the two bluetooth modules.  You can find datasheet for each of the modules here:

HM-10 :  http://wiki.sunfounder.cc/images/f/f8/Bluetooth_4.0_BLE_module_datasheet.pdf

HC-06:  https://cdn.instructables.com/ORIG/FQ1/CUVZ/HXA9PUVQ/FQ1CUVZHXA9PUVQ.pdf

Something else I noticed is that the HM-10 seems to be a Bluetooth Low Energy device which I don't find any mention of in the HC-06 docs.

On 10/30/2017 at 3:49 PM, M852 said:

That's a tough one. Just guessing here, but it sounds like either the Bluetooth connection is dropping or the app is crapping out because it gets an unexpected response from the chronograph.  It's possible something like a Bluetooth power saving function is a contributing factor.

On 10/30/2017 at 4:56 PM, Bobdirt said:

M852 might be onto something with the sleep mode of the HM-10.  It's low-power sleep mode appears to be somewhat different from the HC-06.  Best way is to try turning it off:

HM-10 sleep auto sleep mode disable:  AT+PWRM1

Either way I would suspect some difference between the two bluetooth modules.  You can find datasheet for each of the modules here:

HM-10 :  http://wiki.sunfounder.cc/images/f/f8/Bluetooth_4.0_BLE_module_datasheet.pdf

HC-06:  https://cdn.instructables.com/ORIG/FQ1/CUVZ/HXA9PUVQ/FQ1CUVZHXA9PUVQ.pdf

Something else I noticed is that the HM-10 seems to be a Bluetooth Low Energy device which I don't find any mention of in the HC-06 docs.

The default for power mode in HM-10 is already not to auto-sleep, so that should not be a factor.

I noticed that the Android app does not really make the bluetooth connection, but the iOS app does. This is despite both initially finding it and then reading "chronograph disconnected". The connection was evident from the HM-10 status led and it notifying OK+CONN through UART once I configured it to do so.

I was able to send commands to chrono from terminal program on PC via wired UART and from Android serial terminal app via Bluetooth. But I noticed now that I don't get responses from chrono, so that might be something. Something with the wirings... 

HM-10 is Bluetooth LE aka Bluetooth Smart (introduced with BT 4.0) that is a requirement for function with iOS as it lacks the Serial Port Profile. I believe the connection profile in LE is Generic Access Profile. I must say I am not a professional with the BT stack, so if somebody knows more, please fill me in. I am wondering if the app expects that some attributes, UUIDs or what-not's are defined for the peripheral.

So, bobdirt, the app and chrono are fully functional for you with HM-06 and Android app, is that correct?

Edited by llevola
Clarification