Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

pic request or measurement on "U" shell latch mod Versamax

colbyjack

How deep do you file the little U shaped notches? If its trial and error. How much fileing before checking? I don't want to remove to much and be down till i can order another one. How does this work anyway? While filing them deeper how does it make it load easier? What would be considered too deep?

How deep do you file the little U shaped notches? If its trial and error. How much fileing before checking? I don't want to remove to much and be down till i can order another one. How does this work anyway? While filing them deeper how does it make it load easier? What would be considered too deep?

I use a 1/8" carbide endmill, and deepen the notch by .020". The enlarging of the notches reduces the amount of metal that is resisting the needed flex.

I use a 1/8" carbide endmill, and deepen the notch by .020". The enlarging of the notches reduces the amount of metal that is resisting the needed flex.

Ditto, did the same as this to mine with about the same measurements but if you don't have access to a mill, a Dremel with a carbide cutter or simply a round file will get the job done, just go slow and make sure you are taking measurements to keep them even with a set of calipers if you have them.

I hate removing metal where I don't need to. The U shaped notch in the shell catch "is" the modification. The Versa shell catch is modelled after the SBE unit, which doesn't have notch. Removing more metal only induces more localized flex and accelerates fatigue. I left my U notch alone and got my versamax to load nice and smooth. You need only extend the channel at the tip of the shell catch to remove the little lip, which catches the rim of the shell as it goes by the catch, and polish everything up nice and smooth. Making the U groove bigger will certainly help, I just always tend to look for inconsiquential places to remove material.

I got my +2 from roulette tactical today and that made loading shells a lot easier too. I think between polishing the latch and smoothing all the sharp edges with 400 grit then touching it with 1200 grit. It seems good for now. I'll have to shoot it now to make sure it all works. Stock spring not cut with the +2 seems to be working ok.