Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wrist pain after a match using load 2

I just got back from shooting 11 stages at the Ironman. Most stages required about 25 birdshot, so a lot of loading happened. I use the quad load method loading my shotgun with my weak hand. After the first day, I noticed my wrist was hurting. Now (3 days later), it hurts even more. It's painful when I twist it or bend it up or down. Has anyone else noticed this issue?

I'm now thinking of loading with my strong hand. I currently twist my shotgun with my strong hand and quad load with my weak hand. I might start loading with my strong hand if my wrist still hurts after a week.

Edited by JamesY

It sounds like your wrist may have not been conditioned to do all the work. It like you if you haven't run in years you don't go out on day 1 and run 5 miles you have to work up to it. Give your wrist some time to heal and then build up it endurance. I know wrist endurance sounds bad ( lol) but that is the best advice I have. Hope it heals soon.

I have had the exact same issue, but just with my week hand. I agree with above, my left hand does not get enough use to be strong and able to handle repetitive motions. Mix that with your on the clock and Dam my wrist hurt. So, I just did as above started small are got bigger. Now is all fine. Just for what its worth.

• 4 years later...

Agree w/ the op here. Learning to load a shotgun twisting it upside down w/ my strong hand on the grip. After an hour of reps felt my right wrist stiff and aching. A couple of days rest and the pain was gone. Practiced for an hour again w/ same technique. Now the pain is constantly on. In normal relaxed hand position, no pain. Rotate it sideways or push palm up and feels pain again mostly on pinky side. Stopped practicing so not to aggravate the injury. How whats the cure if any?

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, sbfcolina2 said:

Use your upper arm to pinch the stock to your body so you are not holding the whole wait. Probable just straining your wrist each time

Yes. But found whats hurting is the repetitive twisting of wrist to flip the gun over. And my late age not used to it. After weeks of rest tried it again w/ less reps and felt less pain after. 

On 7/28/2018 at 1:45 AM, BoyGlock said:

Yes. But found whats hurting is the repetitive twisting of wrist to flip the gun over. And my late age not used to it. After weeks of rest tried it again w/ less reps and felt less pain after. 

If the pain is constantly on, you overtrained. I would strongly suggest you do some wrist PT to build the muscles in the forearm. Also stretch your wrists and improve ROM. Without actually doing the physical exams, I would guess a TFCC inflammation or tear.

10 hours ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

If the pain is constantly on, you overtrained. I would strongly suggest you do some wrist PT to build the muscles in the forearm. Also stretch your wrists and improve ROM. Without actually doing the physical exams, I would guess a TFCC inflammation or tear.

Thank you. W/ lots of rest think Im good now. 

• 3 months later...

When I first started learning to quad load I would practice for an hour or so every night. After a few days I would have significant pain in my wrists and fingers. I agree with someone above that over training can definitely cause issues.