Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SO....What is the BEST ENTRY LEVEL Shotgun to Get?

Nalapombu

Hey all,

I used to think that the best shotgun to get to play all the cool games was the Mossy JM 930. Then I find out by reading some posts here that they have fallen out of favor and are not thought of very highly any more.

So I thought I'd ask and see what recommendations come up.

Lets say someone comes to you and says he is tired of watching and hearing about you having all the fun and he now wants to join in. He already has a handgun and rifle and needs a shotgun. He asks you what shotgun he should get to come out and play. He doesn't want a USED gun, doesn't want to save up for a few more months to get a BENELLI, he doesn't have the cash to call SALIENT for custom work, what's a guy to do?

Seems there are 3 choices based on what I have read in threads here, see if you concur.

1. Mossberg 930JM at about $700 or so.

2. Stoeger 3000 at about $435 for the shotgun and maybe $100 for mods like a proper extension, better sights, or whatever.

3. CZ-712 Utility. Don't know the current price, but probably less than $425. Add in another $100 for goodies and you're ready.

From what I have read and seen here it seems as though the current choice would be the CZ712 Utility. They look to be pretty highly thought of and reliable. You don't need a lot of gunsmithing work to get them running right out of the box. If you get one and you don't like 3 gun, you then have a heck of a nice home defense shotgun or get a spare barrel and use it for sporting clays, hunting or any other numerous shotgun games and activities.

CAUTION....Don't listen to me, I have never shot a single round in 3-gun in my life. I'm just a lurker, trying to learn what I can. The REAL EXPERTS will hopefully be along shortly to set me straight and correct my mistaken claims.

SO....those of you that are EXPERTS, what shotgun would YOU recommend your best pal that lives next door to you buy to get involved in 3-gun? Is it one of the models I listed, or do you have another suggestion?

Thanks for the time and I can't wait to see what answers come in.

Nalajr

Edited by Nalapombu

If you are really on a budget and can not spend $1K for an SLP or a Versa-Max, then I would say get a Winchester SXP (or run the pump you already have) and save up until you can get one of those.

I know most people don't worry about it, and most don't want to even acknowledge it, but 922r compliance is something you should research for yourself and make sure that you are willing to either get a foreign made shotgun converted for compliance or run the risk (admittedly small) that someone may enforce the 922r at some point in the future.

I ran a Rem 870 for a while and saved up for a Rem 1100Tac which I shot until I got an SLP and then moved on to a VersaMax. If you get hooked, you will have several shotguns over the years, so fretting over getting the best "budget" shotgun is not a huge deal. I did recommend 930JMs to some friends, but they have mostly forgiven me at this point.

I understand the fear that some people have about the 922r restrcitions.

I had an interesting conversation with the head of the Cincinnati ATF office several years back. I called to ask about some gun laws and such and we got into a discussion. This was in the Assault Weapons Ban and HI Cap Mag Ban days. LOTSA liberals crowing about how they finally were going to make the streets safer. This ATF guy I talked to was a senior guy, I don't know how high, but he wasn't a fresh out of the academy agent. He had been on the job for over 20 years. I thought it would be a great time to ask about the AWB and the HiCap mags and see what he thought.

I asked him what he would do if he and his pals were at the range and right next to him he saw a guy come in with what he KNEW were ILLEGAL HICap Magazines. He said he would go over to the guy, introducce himself and explain to him that he was using magazines that were illegal and then urge him to dispose of them. I asked if he would arrest him. He told me he would not. In fact he told me that since the law had been enacted (been on the books several years) he had NEVER seen nor heard of a SINGLE ARREST or PROSECUTION of anyone for an illegal magazine. NOT ONE....in the entire nation that HE knew about or had ever been told about. He said they have charged bangers and dopers with the violations simply to tack on additional charges and time for them after they had been busted on other gun and dope charges.

I would be willing to wager that 75% of active BATFE Agents couldn't tell you what 922r even entailed or prohibited. Even if they did know about it, you think they're gonna walk up to you on the range and demand to inspect your shotgun wherupon they totally disassemble it to verify how many parts are made in America on your foreign made shotgun?

Am I encouraging anyone to disregard it, no. You do what you want with your own firearms. I'm just saying if I had a foreign made shotgun like a CZ712, I would have no problem at all putting a mag extension on it and rigging it out to whatever specs I was wanting for Home Defense or 3-gun. I would also wager that out of all those tricked out Benelli shotguns at the 3-gun matches all over the country every weekend, there are more than a few that ARE NOT 922r compliant and their owners aren't losing a wink of sleep over it.

To each his own on this issue. I tip my hat to you for complying with 922r on your shotguns and advising others to be aware of it too. I just think that most people would chose to go ahead and build their shotgun the way they wanted anyway.

Thanks

Nalajr

I understand the fear that some people have about the 922r restrcitions.

I had an interesting conversation with the head of the Cincinnati ATF office several years back. I called to ask about some gun laws and such and we got into a discussion. This was in the Assault Weapons Ban and HI Cap Mag Ban days. LOTSA liberals crowing about how they finally were going to make the streets safer. This ATF guy I talked to was a senior guy, I don't know how high, but he wasn't a fresh out of the academy agent. He had been on the job for over 20 years. I thought it would be a great time to ask about the AWB and the HiCap mags and see what he thought.

I asked him what he would do if he and his pals were at the range and right next to him he saw a guy come in with what he KNEW were ILLEGAL HICap Magazines. He said he would go over to the guy, introducce himself and explain to him that he was using magazines that were illegal and then urge him to dispose of them. I asked if he would arrest him. He told me he would not. In fact he told me that since the law had been enacted (been on the books several years) he had NEVER seen nor heard of a SINGLE ARREST or PROSECUTION of anyone for an illegal magazine. NOT ONE....in the entire nation that HE knew about or had ever been told about. He said they have charged bangers and dopers with the violations simply to tack on additional charges and time for them after they had been busted on other gun and dope charges.

I would be willing to wager that 75% of active BATFE Agents couldn't tell you what 922r even entailed or prohibited. Even if they did know about it, you think they're gonna walk up to you on the range and demand to inspect your shotgun wherupon they totally disassemble it to verify how many parts are made in America on your foreign made shotgun?

Am I encouraging anyone to disregard it, no. You do what you want with your own firearms. I'm just saying if I had a foreign made shotgun like a CZ712, I would have no problem at all putting a mag extension on it and rigging it out to whatever specs I was wanting for Home Defense or 3-gun. I would also wager that out of all those tricked out Benelli shotguns at the 3-gun matches all over the country every weekend, there are more than a few that ARE NOT 922r compliant and their owners aren't losing a wink of sleep over it.

To each his own on this issue. I tip my hat to you for complying with 922r on your shotguns and advising others to be aware of it too. I just think that most people would chose to go ahead and build their shotgun the way they wanted anyway.

Thanks

Nalajr

You had better break out of the bubble you are living in and take a look around at the present world you are living in!

My opinion wait, save up and get an M2, then modify it when you have the funds. Good things come to those that wait

Edited by tohm

If I were advising someone who was just getting into the game, I'd tell them to save up for the shotgun they want. If they were brand spankin' new to the game, I'd tell them to go to matches with me and I'd lend them my equipment when they were up.

Buying an "entry level" gun is a bad idea, in my not-so-humble, because you always want something specific. It's like with motorcycles--never buy anything under 500cc's in a road bike, because small bikes don't hold value and you outgrow them quickly. You're better off with something you'll respect for its capability and can grow into.

With an "entry level" gun, you're going to outgrow it quickly, if you take the sport seriously. If you're not going to be that into it, then run what you have and enjoy yourself.

Go to a match. See what people are using. I'm guessing he knows at least one person that shoots 3 gun and of any other sport I've been involved in this is the single most expensive and the single most giving of all. If your local club is anything like mine up here, you will have an outpouring of people damn near demanding you shoot their gear. I know I get a little butt hurt when someone won't shoot my gear (what do they think they're too good for my guns!? Haha). Hell I used a friends slp for the entire Texas multigun because I changed something on my 1100 and didn't want to vet it in my first out of state match and he used my holster and mags. I'm sure if any one of our guns had gone down at the match we would have had several people on the squad (people we hadn't met til that weekend) would have offered to let us use their gear. I was a little leery of using other shooters gear at first, but after awhile I realized that most shooters are more excited about someone shooting their gear than the people that are borrowing them are... or at least I am. Anything to get more people into the sport and have as much fun as I've had over the past two years.

Plus if you borrow and save up over a couple months you'll have enough to get the shotgun you want, not just the one you can get right now. If you're in alaska and want to shoot a match I know at least a few people that would be willing to let you borrow an entire set up to shoot with, just bring ammo! (It's not raining fed bulk XM-193 anymore lol)

Good luck

Edited by Akkid17

What class are you thinking of shooting? You didn't state caliber of pistol and rifle you have. . Depending on that You may be in the market for a pump gun? .. like some others have said borrow one ...Also the don't buy an entry level cause you'll outgrow it quickly save for a cpl months and you'll have the $1- 1500 saved up? Really? Obviously he's on a super tight budget so that isn't going to work. . Also if you start in some outlaw matches they are usually more lenient on rules for beginners. . BIGGEST THING IS , HAVE FUN & GET OUT AND SHOOT ... And BE SAFE

Yeah, really. With few exceptions, I think most of us are on some kind of budget. Figuring out what the budget can take for expenses and cutting back on something would be the best way to do it.

He's looking at three shotguns which (according to what HE posted) will run him $550-$700. He's already more than halfway there.

Sheesh.

I sound like a broken record I know... but the Benelli Super Nova 24" is still the best low budget option for a 3 gun shotgun. It has quite a few unspoken advantages which make up for the lost time in pumping the action. While I loose a small amount of time in splits, I can reload my nova 1sec faster per 8 shells than on my very fast to reload Versamax. On short, fast courses a reliable autoloader will always outpace a pump, but the reloading speed equalizes the playing field on longer field courses. The nova is extremely easy and inexpensive to get set up and maintain for 3 gun and... you can actually dry fire practice with it. Because the pump action cycles the shotgun, even with dummies... I do 25 shell reload and dry fire, practice strings, right in my own basement. I honestly, rarely feel outgunned when I run my nova and my times are generally on par with what I would pull down using my autoloader. Doing the Load 12 Drill, I tend to run just under 11sec with both my auto and my pump.

If you really want to be cheap about it get a junker 870 (I paid 150 for mine) and put a extension on it (should be around 50 bucks) and run that. There, 200 bucks and you can play. I still use this set up for heavy metal and production. Just won the Seward match in production (our version of limited division): pump shotgun, 1x or irons on rifle, 10+1 pistol.

If you want an auotloader shop around the pawn shops for a Remington 1100. Open up the gas ports in the barrel one drill size from what they are and it will shoot anything you feed it. You should be able to get in an 1100 with everything you need for $600.00 or a little under even today. Put an E Z load gate on it and a mag extension and have at it. When you get ready to move up you can get all of your money back on the 1100 buy removing the extension and selling it right before hunting season. I have two 1100s that I prefer over my Benelli M-2 because they shoot much softer due to being gas operated.

Edited by Jaxshooter

best bet is get what you can afford and learn to shoot..make sure you even want to stay with it before you drop the bucks..no since loosing money on an exspensive gun if you dont stay with it..lets face it, you'll loose alot less on a cheaper used gun if you dont like it there is a certain point where they stop loosing money ...we have one guy using an old pawn shop mossberg pump with the plug out, he has an awesome time shooting it

Edited by usmc90

I might be missing something. But it looked to me as though that vid just echoed what has already been said. Versa, slp and benelli are the most popular for various reasons and the jm is the "value" shotty. It was good though and I want that FDE slp pretty bad. It's like fn knew my weakness for sexy shotguns.

• 1 month later...

By the one you think will run 100%. If you think your'e going to save money getting an entry level blaster it may cost you in the end. One high end SG is cheaper then 1 x cheaper and 1 x high end.

The M2 American never gets much attention but it's a great place to start. Since it's got a wood stock it's cheap and easy to make it fit you. Add the Nordic parts you want and send the lifter to C-Rums to be welded.