Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Magazine Extension Questions

GregSmith

I have a Glock 22 (.40 cal) wondering about the basics of magazine extensions.

1. Which one do you guys like best? (Taran Tactical, Arredondo, Dawson Precision etc?)

2. Are the extensions caliber specific? (I don't often see options when looking through websites.)

3. What other things do I need to consider? Are they plug and play or do I need to worry about follower problems etc.

4. Anything else I need to know that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Greg

I have the Dason versions and they are easy to install. Pretty much take off the old base plate and spring and put the new spring into the follower and put the base plate on. They recommend taking a file to the bottom of the follower to round it off so it doesn't catch on the extension during loading but it's very easy and takes a few seconds. The Dawson small frame works with both 9mm and 40.

Can't view it at work but this should be their installation video

I like Dawsons because they are easy on / easy off. I reliably fit 19 .40 with them out of the box. To fit 20 I have to start playing with trimming followers and clipping spring coils and it is not worth it to me.

Most competition oriented extensions are for the small frame mags (i.e. 9MM/.40S&W). The extension doesn't care what caliber you're stuffing in it, as long as it is attached to the correct mag.

You may want to slighly sand/bevel the edges of your followers to ensure a smoot transition between the extension & mag body.

Arredondos are the easiest to take apart and clean in the field of all the ones I have used. I own Arredondos, and Taylor Freelance. I like the weight of the Taylor, but prefer the Arredondos. I have also tried the Dawsons and the Tarans. They were nice, but I always end up using the Arredondos. When it dusty out and you need to clean any mag you drop after every stage, it makes a big difference.

The extensions will work with 9mm, 40S&W, & 357Sig. They also make a larger extension for use with 45ACP and 10mm.

Arredondos are the easiest to take apart and clean in the field of all the ones I have used. I own Arredondos, and Taylor Freelance. I like the weight of the Taylor, but prefer the Arredondos. I have also tried the Dawsons and the Tarans. They were nice, but I always end up using the Arredondos. When it dusty out and you need to clean any mag you drop after every stage, it makes a big difference.

The extensions will work with 9mm, 40S&W, & 357Sig. They also make a larger extension for use with 45ACP and 10mm.

+1

I have the Dason versions and they are easy to install. Pretty much take off the old base plate and spring and put the new spring into the follower and put the base plate on. They recommend taking a file to the bottom of the follower to round it off so it doesn't catch on the extension during loading but it's very easy and takes a few seconds. The Dawson small frame works with both 9mm and 40.

Can't view it at work but this should be their installation video

I use the Dawsons aswell and they were a breeze to install. I had a harder time removing the bottom stock baseplate from the mags themselves than installing the extensions. Thanks for posting that video, I need to file down my followers this weekend.

Yeah same here. Those factory base plates were a bitch. No problem on the video. Glad it was the right one. Couldn't view on my work computer as youtube is blocked.

I like Taylor Freelance. I like that they go together with 2 screws, and just feel more solid to me.

It's still not too difficult to take apart, but I'm using them for 3-gun. Therefore I don't have to reload often, and don't feel the need to take them apart.

Might be different if I was using them for Limited USPSA and they got dropped a lot. Then again, it's a Glock, I've never taken apart any of my Production mags in the middle of a match.

ON my Gen 4 G35 with a Zev aluminum magwell I had to do some dremel work to make the TTI extensions work correctly. I had to remove material at the rear of the well (inner) to make room for the post TTI uses to secure the mag to the extension. Not a big deal and in general I like the TTI extensions.

I've tried them all (Arredondo, TTI, Taylor Freelance, Dawson)

they all work as advertised and I've gotten 23 in the 9mm and 20 in the 40's with them all

and I've always gone back to the Arredondo's,

Something about dropping $40+ worth of anodized aluminum in to the gravel once or twice every stage.

I feel the Arredondo pads hold up a little bit better in the long run.

Just my 2 cents

and that reminds me

I need to order a dozen new mag springs today,

P.S.

we do know about the TTI pins and the ZEV/Glockworx Magwell issues.

a fix will be forth coming

I had a G22 and now a G35. I ran Dawson and Arredondo mag extensions.

The Dawson's drop easier since they are aluminum (a little heavier than Arredondos), but the Arredondo's give me 1 more round in the mags using same springs.

Both are very easy to take apart for cleaning. Metal vs plastic is the only issue. But I have not broken an Arredondo yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Shoot a mud match (like Area 6 this year :) ) and easy on and off for cleaning takes on a new meaning! When you are cleaning mags in a puddle until you can get a bucket of water for the squad, being able to take off the extension with no tools is a real plus.

+1 for Dawsons, like the weight of them.

Shoot a mud match (like Area 6 this year :) ) and easy on and off for cleaning takes on a new meaning! When you are cleaning mags in a puddle until you can get a bucket of water for the squad, being able to take off the extension with no tools is a real plus.

+1 for Dawsons, like the weight of them.

I prefer the Arredondos for this. It may take a tool, but no others are as fast to come apart and go back together. To prove a point I took my Arredondos, my friends had Taylor Freelance, Taran's, and Dawsons. I was able to take apart, clean, and put back together 3 of mine before they could do the same to 1 of there's. I actually did 4 of mine before the friend with the Taylors did 1. Dawsons were the closest, but I still was able to do 3 before his 1.

• 4 months later...

Hey all, Taylor Freelance HQ logging in.

Thanks for all the kind things you've said about our mag extensions.

I've been listening to feedback lately, and getting the basepad off easier is common request. With that in mind, I cooked up a batch of easy on-off Fort Knox retaining plates for our Taylor Freelance mag extensions. (Based on an old mod by Michael Chludenski.)

We call them "Black Magic" plates since they're A: Black, and B: Spin out of the way like magic.

I've got some friendly shooters experimenting with them now, but so far no issues. If you folks are interested in trying one, ping me back through www.taylorfreelance.com . MG_9391black-magic2-web.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Arredondo's for me. Will work with 9mm or 40. I get 20 re-loadable easy. They hold up well. I shoot USPSA at a local indoor range and drop them alot on concrete. They get a little scraped up, but they are black and don't show the wear much.....can't say the same for some of the aluminum bases I see dropped on hard surfaces all the time.

• 2 weeks later...