Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147 fp & wsf but soft lead

colbyjack

Got some 147 FP bullets but made from recycled range lead. Pretty soft stuff. Weighs 152 grains out of the 147 mold.

I'm going to use wsf thinking 3.8-3.9 ish out of my 650. I'm doing a minimal crimp son it don't resize the bullets. But it holds it son it don't move.

I'm going to shoot out of a xdm 5.25 9mm what should my oal be? Thinking 1.130" +/- .005" cause of mixed brass. What's your thoughts and OAL preference. Thanks

I dont own or have ever loaded for an XDM but your thoughts on your load is almost identical to my current load for my M&P 5" with a KKM barrel. I am currently loading 147gr (more like 150gr) Bear Creek Moly over 3.8 of WSF. My OAL is 1.140.

Pure lead weighs more than the Lyman #2 hard cast. The tin and antimony weigh less than lead. So a 147 grain bullet mold is made for #2 alloy, purer lead weighs more that's why I'm dropping at 150ish. A lot of soft 22 bullets in my range lead.

I would do a drop test to check your OAL.

My glock does not like long loaded 147 FP's. With 147 RN I can load long with out contacting the rifleing.

with the FP's the ogave contacts the rifleing to soon and I have to short load them (Not under min spec in my loading manual just shorter than I like).

Start long and drop your round in if it fits and cycles you should be good. If your firearm does not go into battery or you get rifleing marks on your lead pill shorten it up a hair until your gun cycles and is happy. (Allways use a verner caliper to double check min. specs)

Every new bullet design I get I do this with. Then make notes in my reloading manual for future referance.

Hope this helps

Chris

3.7 WSF with a 147 gr Penn Bullet had a 146 PF in a Dan Wesson PM-9 1911 5" BBL. Still shot real nice was not abrupt at all. Never really went lower cause I liked the impluse of the 125gr bullets I was testing better