Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nikon Scope Mount – Return to Zero

dbletap_ed

I have two different Nikon scopes already mounted in Nikon’s M-223 AR Mounts with one of them on a rifle. My question is will the Nikon mount return to zero if it is placed back in the same slots on rail with the side bars of the mount in the same place? I would love to save the money for now and not have to purchase 2 of the LaRue mounts. (Yes, I know it would be slow to change scopes) If no one has tired this I guess I will be the Guinea Pig but do not want to waste the ammo if someone can tell me that it does not work.

It returns very close. My dad used the Nikon for a season and removed the scope and mount to try and different combo and it return very close. I'm not sure where it was shooting before he took it off so i don't know if it was exactly the same. Just bring your torque wrench to the range and try it.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally had a chance to try removing and replacing the scope today and it did not return to zero. In an attempt to make sure I gave the mount the best chance to return to zero when I mounted the mount on the rail I used a torque wrench to tighten cross bolts. When I removed the scope today at the range and remounted it I set the bolts at same value. At a 100 yards the point of impact was 3” off. Looking at the mounts I do not see where there is that much room for movement but it was 3” off. (Yes, it was at the same place on the rail)

My Leupold mount on my Mark AR normally returns to zero. I only had to make minor modifications once. Paid less than a hundred for it and I've been very happy with it.

Looks very similar to the Nikon mount, wonder why the Nikon did not return to zero?

Could it be as simple as not making sure the mount is pushed forward in the rail and tightening evenly? I had a Nikon m223 in a fixed mount and there was enough play that I doubt it would reliably return to zero. Then again, it wasn't qd so not really designed to.

As others have said, for reliable return to zero something like an adm or la rue would be the way to go, but they cost more too.

I have two different Nikon scopes already mounted in Nikon’s M-223 AR Mounts with one of them on a rifle. My question is will the Nikon mount return to zero if it is placed back in the same slots on rail with the side bars of the mount in the same place? I would love to save the money for now and not have to purchase 2 of the LaRue mounts. (Yes, I know it would be slow to change scopes) If no one has tired this I guess I will be the Guinea Pig but do not want to waste the ammo if someone can tell me that it does not work.

the only 2 i know of are larue and adm

both pricey but worth it.

i dont need EXACT RETURN just want to be with i-2" at old zero point.

use them on allmy guns. my 3 gun ar is a 11.5" with a s&b 1x4-ffp. never take it off bad idea. dont now why people seem obsessed, with removing 101% working gear. if i am not changing something i NEVER take any scope/red dot off a weapon.

run it under a hose to get the dirt/mud off, clean, lube, put it back in the gear locker till next day.

i can get by with 1-2" if i have to in my work. 1-2 m.o.s. is just fine. i have 28 rds to get the job done. doesnt seem to bother me in 3-gun but i am not a contender due to injuries in the sandbox. just like to play.

good luck

jjw

Edited by jjw

I recently swapped my Nikon M-223 1-4X out for a 4-12X scope, to shoot groups at 200 yds. for load-testing. I didn't remove the M-223 mount like you did, but rather removed the scope from the mount itself. When I returned the M-223 1-4X to the mount, I was afraid it would not return to zero, but to my surprise - it was dead on.

Probably couldn't do it again in a million years. Don't intend to try.