Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Holster Requirements

rcc96

How did USPSAs Gary Stevens come up with the Single Stack holster requirements that the entire front strap must be above the belt line?

Whats the mindset of this rule?

How old is this rule?

If production can use a drop offset why not SS ?

Is it time to look at this and update ?

Looking for answers...

Thanks.

RCC

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Single Stack Division holster rules were changed when the USPSA got involved with the 1911 Society and Richard Heinie. The reason was because Heinie wanted the holsters to be of the concealable type. Why it was necessary to join in with them is still questioned by some and why Heinie got his way on the holster by others. May shooters had to purchase new holsters or change divisions. This was prior to the current administration.

How did USPSAs Gary Stevens come up with the Single Stack holster requirements that the entire front strap must be above the belt line?

Whats the mindset of this rule?

How old is this rule?

If production can use a drop offset why not SS ?

Is it time to look at this and update ?

Looking for answers...

Thanks.

RCC

Why don't you ask him?

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showuser=738

I also agree that you should be able to use the DOH as we did in the past. It might be worth requesting a change but it is kind of like closing the barn after the horse gets out. There are alot of people that due to physical build that are not able to use a holster shoved into their rib cage.

I am like Choasshooter my long arms don't work with a holster that high. My concealment holsters are lower than the requirements for SS.

If you think you need a DOH holster for SS what you really need is practice. I too have long arms an a high waist and am no slower after a years worth of matches and dry fire that drawing from my limited holster. Push the keyboard away and dry fire .

Dry fire more? Thats funny...Main reason I got into uspsa was to get away from the rules of Idpa..conceal carry position is way outdated in my opion..

What other division has Idpa in mind as it relates to eq..?

Considering some of the holsters I've seen at Single Stack Nationals, I don't think concealment has much to do with it. The holster may have to be higher than other divisions, but it can still be spaced 2" from the inside of the belt.

If it bothers you that much, why not shoot Limited 10? No holster restrictions (other than 2" from the inside of the belt.) Buy some 10 round mags and you're all set. I know, you're reloads won't be as quick as those guys shooting a 2011. To solve that problem, see post #10.

It's not the distance from the belt...it's half the way up into your arm pit...

Why do they allow the doh in production and not SS...?

Because they're different divisions, created at different times. That question's a little like "why can I use a red dot and comp in open, but not in SS?"

I have explained the process numerous times in the past, but I'll take an abbreviated try this time.

I had the idea of the Division, had to sell it to the BOD, which took a lot of skin off my backside, and then had to write the rules for it knowing that for sure not everyone would be happy. Guess I was right on that part anyhow.

The 1911 Single Stack Division, or Single Stack for short, was created to be different from other Divisions. It wasn't supposed to be Production with a 1911, or a downloaded race gun Division or Limited 8.. There was a blending of the Single Stack Classic rules, IDPA rules, and USPSA rules. The idea was to cast the net as wide as possible and to attract as many 1911 shooters as possible from all avenues. I had to start from scratch and with some minor changes from my original draft rules, I think we have a good product.

I CRO'd a whole bunch of shooters of all different sizes and shapes at the SS Nationals and all of them seemed to be just fine with the holsters as the rules required.

Personally, I think the SS Division has been a great success and could be even better with the proper marketing.

Gary

Thanks Gary that's pretty much what I was trying to get from the beginning ..I do appreciate the hard work you have put into the division and agree it could even be better..

Chuck how many times a year do you shoot SS?

Chuck how many times a year do you shoot SS?

For me, single stack season out here runs from just after Area 2 in November to the conclusion of the Western States Single Stack Championship at the end of January. It usually adds up to 10 matches or so. The rest of the year it's open. I used to shoot CDP in the other sport and I did shoot L-10 a couple years with a single stack a few years before the SS division came about.

Nik I would like the option...

Bod has made several changes to already created divisions at later times correct?

How about limited when they had a min gun production run...changed.

I can't ask a simple question ?

It was to create simple fact finding and conversation...attack another subject

Bod has made several changes to already created divisions at later times correct?

Sure -- you can ask a question, and people are talking about it. That's a good thing.....

But -- what's your answer? Why do you think changing the rule is good for the sport?

Let me add this about holsters. When I wrote the rules one of the goals I had was to provide a seamless crossover from IDPA to our sport. I was tired of hearing the "You have to have a 3-4 thousand dollar gun to shoot that sport".

Some might say, screw IDPA who cares. Well I do. IDPA shooters are, well shooters. Having shooters separated by some ideological divide wasn't a good thing, IMO. When many of them come over to USPSA they have fun and remain as shooters and new members. Not all, but a significant number.

USPSA having new members is a good thing. Many times a single new member results in numerous new members because of word of mouth.

Having a DOH type holster in SS Division adds distance in that seamless crossover I was striving for. I realize that most SS shooters have more than 3 magazines that are required for IDPA, but having the IDPA crossover shooter buy a couple of magazines and magazine pouches was about the best I could do.

By the way, Richard Henie was and is a great supporter of the concept of a 1911 Single Stack Division. He offered suggestions, just like the late Russ Cluver and others did, but when I made the final decision on what was going in the final draft of the rules, they supported it 100 percent.

Everything you don't like about SS Division is totally my responsibility.