Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you use/wear your armband?

Assuming of course you ever run an armband. Early on in my budding 3-Gun career (long ago, like last year) I bought some cheap caddies and a 9 shell armband before settling on the large size Chameleon as my preferred shell carrier. I have exactly ONE stage at a match next month that will require more rounds than I can carry with the Chameleon and I am in a quandary as to how to tote them. There does not seem to be a good way for me to wear caddies with my other gear so I think the armband may come to the rescue. After playing with it I think shells pointing out under the left arm (weak hand arm) is about right. They are out of the way while I weak-hand load-two off the Chameleon but when I transition to the armband I can grab shells one at a time (with the strong hand) and shove them up in the loading port. It may not be the fastest load but has some advantages. I don't have to take my left hand off the fore end or invert the gun, it is a very minimal distance from the armband to the loading port and, at least for me, seems to offer the best balance of speed and low risk (of fumbling). So, if you run an armband what is your preferred location, shell orientation, and loading operation?

Do you load strong-hand (up on the shoulder) with the Chameleon? If so, then I agree---wear the armband on the inside of your weak forearm so that you can pull the shells with your strong hand.

You can also look harder for a way to attach the caddy; a Tek-Lok is only about $12 and can attach to most caddies with the help of a few strategically drilled holes. That will let you put it somewhere just in front of your pistol holster so you can still use the strong hand for the extra shells.

Do you load strong-hand (up on the shoulder) with the Chameleon? If so, then I agree---wear the armband on the inside of your weak forearm so that you can pull the shells with your strong hand.

You can also look harder for a way to attach the caddy; a Tek-Lok is only about $12 and can attach to most caddies with the help of a few strategically drilled holes. That will let you put it somewhere just in front of your pistol holster so you can still use the strong hand for the extra shells.

I tried the caddies on my strong side but I just could not get the hang of loading that way. I know that sounds strange but I learned to loaded off the caddies weak hand and now it is fumble city trying to do it strong hand. Also, wearing the armband on the strong arm means less control of the gun (holding it back by the wrist instead of balanced out under fore arm with the weak hand) and a farther distance to move shells reaching back to get them from the strong arm. I know all this is a little screwy, I can't load strong hand off caddies but want to single load out of an armband that way. Trust me to find a way to make something simple into a problem.

Sitting in a car & only needing 2-4 rds, moveing hard to a prone & needing only 2-3, etc.

Exactly the last times I used mine. Car at Pro-Am last year and prone at the Benelli match this year. It's great for when you just need a few rounds in a tight space.

I wear mine on the inside of my left arm with the brass down. I roll the gun a little in my left hand and shove them in.

If I use an armband I wear it on the inside of my forearm with the brass back. However, I have basically quit using it because I don't like the weight, especially if I am using a pistol before I get to the shotgun.