Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Young competitive shooters: how young?

NicVerAZ

The safety is the big deal to me. We have had some that obviously started too early and got DQ'd. We had a whole family leave the sport entirely because their 8 year old daughter DQ'd 3 times in 4 matches and the MD asked them to not enter her again for a year. That is the beauty of Steel Challenge and Ruger Rimfire Challenge. They still have gun handling, but remove the elements of moving and gun manipulations on the clock.

ericjhuber-

I started her with a Ruger .22 at 7. We just shot fun stuff in the backyard. Cans, clay pigeons etc. Things that fell over. At first she did not show alot of interest but the more matches she went to with me the more she asked about it. She has been shooting my Glock 35 for about 6 months. I started her shooting on a rest. Once she got the hang of that we starting standing. We also dry fire together several times a week. I have my fingers crossed we are shootiing her first match Saturday.

That sounds like a great transition plan along the way. I'll also have to revise and extend my previous comments about her. She legitimately could be better than I am depending on her speed. :) I'm just starting out also and her accuracy with a .40 Glock is very good based on what we get to see in the video and she has a pretty smooth reload also.

If you think of it, I'd be very interested in how things go for you guys tomorrow and what she thinks of her first match. Good luck!

The safety is the big deal to me. We have had some that obviously started too early and got DQ'd. We had a whole family leave the sport entirely because their 8 year old daughter DQ'd 3 times in 4 matches and the MD asked them to not enter her again for a year. That is the beauty of Steel Challenge and Ruger Rimfire Challenge. They still have gun handling, but remove the elements of moving and gun manipulations on the clock.

Heck, that's what I did to ease myself into USPSA shooting. I did some GSSF and Steel Challenge matches first where I could just concentrate on some speed and accuracy without having to worry about actually moving.

• 2 weeks later...

This seven year old shoots at my local club matches:

That's awesome. I'm training my 10yr old son to shoot uspsa. I like the pallets for the kids to stand on , I worry that there will be a port to high for him to shoot through, hopefully my club will have something like that if the need arises.