Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
NicVerAZ

Young competitive shooters: how young?

I was wondering how young could one start in USPSA or any practical shooting sport?

Are teenagers under 16 allowed to take part?

Thanks!

I think that depends on the maturity of the child, but I believe KC Eusebio made GM at age 12 so it can be done.

I have not seen an age minimum for USPSA or IPSC in either rule book. If the young shooter in question has been evaluated to be a safe gun handler and demonstrates the maturity to compete, then I don't know why they can't.

Yes, there are a bunch of young Jedis who are part of the junior Action Pistol Program at my home club (Wyoming Antelope Club in Clearwater, Florida). If you do a search on YouTube, you will see young action shooters like Katelyn Francis who are very good at what they do and I can only imagine where they will be as they continue to progress.

The first two people who I ever saw shooting a USPSA stage were a couple of the WAC Junior Shooters. The WAC Intro to Action Class was on the same morning that the juniors were training so I watched some Jedi who I think was around fifteen or sixteen shoot a great Production stage. I then watched an even younger fellow who I think was around ten or twelve shoot a great Open stage. I've learned lessons watching him prep for his stage that I'm still using today.

So, yeah, younger people do just fine in this game. :) When it comes to WAC, in fact, I just assume that anyone who looks like they aren't old enough to drive is going to annihilate me in the scoring so I pay very close attention to them to learn all I can.

One of our local shooters just turned 14, and is doing quite well. He's safe, skilled, and helps with stage reset and pasting and stuff.

My son and I started practical pistol shooting at the beginning of summer a couple of years ago. The IDPA Nat's were held in town that fall. My son finished 13th out of 67 in his class. He had turned 13 less than 2 months before Nats.

Maturity and safety should be your guideline. I'm an SO and regularly shoot with kids as young as 11 with no issues. Frankly, inexperienced adults are generally more concerning. Kids seem to have more muzzle awareness.

I just started my 11 year old son a few months ago. He had about 5 steel challenge and Ruger Rimfire Challenge matches under his belt. His first USPSA match was a Super classifier and he zero'd 3 of the 6, but he was safe and managed the reloads, strong hand, weak hand with safety skills I wish all of our competitors had. I am positive he will be beating me in a year or two.

This seven year old shoots at my local club matches:

That young man is a scholar and a gentleman too, just like his father! Love him! :)

I started when I was 12. I'm now 16 and just made GM before my 16th birthday.

Personally, I think it all depends on their maturity level as well as their physical abilities.

My 11 year old daughter. This is a practice stage. She is shooting her first match this weekend.

my 14 year old daughter started shooting matches about 2 months ago and is doing great I preach safety to her all the time we also have a 16 yr old that shoots in our club

I starting shooting matches at 9 and a half, went to my first major match at 10, shooting my third Double Tap this weekend. Always safe

My 11 year old daughter. This is a practice stage. She is shooting her first match this weekend.

Awesome!

Mike

At one range we attend shoots, a 10 yr starting, now about 15 is outstanding Steel Challenge & USPSA.

Another range and kid, she's 11 and shoots a rifle awesome iron sights or red dot. When she grows into a shotgun, will be a tough cat in 3 GUN.

BOTH GIRL CHILDREN !

Have FUN,

Be SAFE,

Perry

For any sort of run 'n' gun competition, about 11 or 12 is about as young as I ever care to see.

The vids of the little 4- to 8-year-old kids struggling to handle full-size handguns literally make me queasy.

For any sort of run 'n' gun competition, about 11 or 12 is about as young as I ever care to see.

The vids of the little 4- to 8-year-old kids struggling to handle full-size handguns literally make me queasy.

+1

I think it all depends on the maturity and size of the kid. If they can be safe, no problem. I started at around 11.

There were a bunch of Juniors at Area 1, some of them started when they were 11 or 12. The girl on the far left, Mikayla Blosser, started at 13, she now (16) shoots Open, and gave the guys a run for the money.

316176_555407377844042_1355735251_n.jpg

I'm pretty sure she's already better than I am. She certainly has a smoother reload than I have with the exact same gun.

My daughter isn't old enough yet to even hold a gun reliably, but I'm already plotting....she's asking me when I will teach her to shoot and I've been teaching her gun safety. Look, if she doesn't have any interest when she gets older, it's fine with me. It's her call. But I'm allowed to create the conditions most favorable to my desired outcome. :)

So how old was your daughter when she first started to actually shoot a firearm?

Edited by ericjhuber

I starting shooting matches at 9 and a half, went to my first major match at 10, shooting my third Double Tap this weekend. Always safe

That's great! How old were you when you first actually started shooting?

ericjhuber-

I started her with a Ruger .22 at 7. We just shot fun stuff in the backyard. Cans, clay pigeons etc. Things that fell over. At first she did not show alot of interest but the more matches she went to with me the more she asked about it. She has been shooting my Glock 35 for about 6 months. I started her shooting on a rest. Once she got the hang of that we starting standing. We also dry fire together several times a week. I have my fingers crossed we are shootiing her first match Saturday.

This seven year old shoots at my local club matches:

Awesome.