Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another 550 or 650 Choice

Just need some opinions.

I have reloaded in the past with a 550 and loved it. I had given the press to my father and uncle.

I know want to purchase one for myself. I will be doing 9mm but may reload 223 or 308 in the future.

I love the simplicity of the 550.

What I really like is the auto shell loader and the powder alarm. Concerned about the powder load when doing so many rounds. Only takes one bad load to really mess things up.

Any thoughts from everyone?

Thanks.

David Haas

I've been running a 550 for a few years now, and have a Hornady SS press also for "aux" tasks, such as decapping, full-length sizing, and for load development when I have new components. I've just recently added a 650 for 9x19, and couldn't be happier. The powder check runs about $68 from Dillon, and will be helpful when running a press that goes that fast. I never had an issue with the 550, because I was never really in a hurry to get ammo pushed out. After running the 650 after I got it setup, I found out why people buy extra primer fill tubes.

To me, it's worth the extra money for loading a lot of one caliber. However, I prefer the flexibility of the 550 for caliber and primer changes.

Congrats on whichever Dillon you go with!

I have a 550 that i received a few weeks ago. I have loaded high and low density powders, the only powder that doesnt cycle with is unique (at least for me). Out of the 4 powders that i use, unique is the only one that i check every 10-20 loads to make sure that it is still dropping correctly.I also only load 1 caliber. With that in mind, i am not disappointed with my purchase at all. I can average about 500 rounds an hour easy. I can probably do more than that as well, but i am not in a hurry.

Check out the youtube link to see how fast this gakido guy is. Its insane.

Edited by leewongfei

I started with a 650. Strictly speaking from a hypothetical standpoint, having an extra station for a check die as well as auto-indexing are great safety features to have.

Speaking from a practical standpoint I have loaded somewhere in the vicinity of 25,000 rounds over the past year (between 45/9/40 and 223) and my bacon was saved on no less then 2 separate occasions by the powder check die.

Too close for comfort? you bet. Definitely glad with my choice.

Edited by djthemac

I started with a 550. I was debating between a 550/650 as well and after reading lots of threads went with the 550

I recently sold it and bought a 650. Even though I made $ selling my 550 which paid for the 650, I should have gone straight into a 650.

The 550 though was a great press and it will do anything you need it to do

I have both a 550 and a 650. If I was to go with one it would be the 650 hands down. Pumps out much more product and has safety check features such as powder check station. I use my 650 for all my pistol calibers since i go through more of that product. That said I use my 550 for my .223 reloads only. I can be much more meticulous and watch everything better on the 550 which I think is important with rifle. Both work great and make great reloads.

Do you feel like you "need" the extra speed the 650 can give you?

I desperately "want" a 1050 but I just can't justify pulling the trigger on one because I have a LnL AP and it does more than enough for me.

So... I would recommend something like the 550 if you don't mind the manual need and limited production rate. And the 650 if you need some serious round counts orrrr you just want a little more luxury.

Do you feel like you "need" the extra speed the 650 can give you? I desperately "want" a 1050 but I just can't justify pulling the trigger on one because I have a LnL AP and it does more than enough for me. So... I would recommend something like the 550

I would say the 650 as, he would be SOL having case feed for rifle or powder check for anything, with 550.

So if he would "really like" the features he has to step up.

Edited by jmorris

• 2 weeks later...

Same story again it seems.

For me, I just ordered my second XL650 to run .45 ACP while the first one is set up for 9mm. These two presses, one large pistol primer and the other small pistol primer, are essentially one caliber presses for bulk loading. If you want to do a lot of one thing the XL650 is a great choice. If, on the other hand, you like to load a bunch of different calibers, then go with the 550B. The quick change system is cheaper and simple.

My first Dillon which I still have is the 550B and it runs all of my revolver and rifle rounds in lesser quantities. 44Mag 45 Colt 45AR .357Mag and all the rest run really nicely on the 550B. Its a simple machine that just works.

Thank you Brian for encouraging me to get the 550B first. I love it and use it regularly.

If you get in an accident then I'm great to have around. I worked Trauma for 20+ years. If you want your oil changed, you are SCREWED....I'm not real mechanically inclined, but the 650 is simple. Even I can do it...

Used my pops 550 long ago and love my 650 now...