Springfield Range Officer vs STI Trojan

fellas

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I own both. If you buy the Trojan through Dawson as I did, you can order the Trojan with a mag well and fiber optic front sight. The latter is optional, but I would not use this gun in USPSA without a mag well (Smith & Alexander type). My Trojan came with a great trigger and has been completely reliable.

If you get the Range Officer you will need a mag well, which gives you the reason to dispense with their proprietary mainspring housing safety feature. The trigger on the RO is crude compared to the Trojan, even missing a bevel cut on the sear. I think they meant it to be replaced, as the Range Officer had been touted as a "platform" upon which you can build a competition gun.

If you can get one, I would choose the Trojan.

Chris

I ordered a Trojan in 40 S&W (I love my STI Edge) back in late Jan or early Feb (during the mad rush) with a lead of 4 to 6 weeks from my local gun shop. I checked last Friday and the shipping date is 10/1 so if you are in a hurry I hope you can find one in stock. I was given the option to upgrade or cancel and told them I would wait, as I would rather get what I want.

I ordered a Trojan in 40 S&W (I love my STI Edge) back in late Jan or early Feb (during the mad rush) with a lead of 4 to 6 weeks from my local gun shop. I checked last Friday and the shipping date is 10/1 so if you are in a hurry I hope you can find one in stock. I was given the option to upgrade or cancel and told them I would wait, as I would rather get what I want.

What was the upgrade option? If it was to a Sentry I would jump at it, I waited 5 months for my Sentry back in "normal" times.

Chris

Trojan. Just picked up my second one. First was a .45. This one is in 9mm for IDPA. Got it through Dawson with the CRP package. Excellent pistol and shot smooth from the very first round. I've got about 800 rounds through it without a single failure of any kind. The only thing I've changed is to add a set of VZ grips. Shoots as accurate as my Sentinel.

Edited by GLI45

What was the upgrade option? If it was to a Sentry I would jump at it, I waited 5 months for my Sentry back in "normal" times.

Chris

It was a Sentry and I needed to kick in the difference. I believe they were getting if from Shooters Connection that was one of the distributors he checked with.

The Sentry has a polished slide, but what is really nice is the front strap checkering. If you compare the features of the Sentry and the Trojan, I think you will see that the Sentry is worth the extra cost.

Chris

I've had a Trojan in 9mm for a couple years now. Granted I don't shoot all that much, but I can't get the thing to fail. I've gone hundred of rounds without even touching the thing and it just keeps on going.

I can't speak to the SA, but in my expeirance, the Trojan is a great gun for the money. Heck, it's a great gun period.

I looked at both options too when I was deciding. Ended up with the TORJAN in .40sw with the crp package. Absolutely LOVE IT. 3 other guys at our club all ordered trojans with in a month of each other, this was back in DEC-Jan. Now 2 more want Trojans, cant beat price and product.. Hey tohm I ordered mine in Jan, got it end of March, you were just behind me on ordering on another post. Sorry you got to wait so long but it will be worth it. I also got a .45 Spartan in March. Go with the crp package its worth it

I just picked up a well used Trojan from a member here on the forum and I've owned a couple springers, including a TRP. Apparently the Range Officer is a slightly watered down version of the TRP. I haven't gotten to shoot the Trojan yet, but I can already tell you that fit and trigger goes to the Trojan. Hand cycling feels a lot smoother. In fact all the moving parts are much smoother with no decernable play. This is also evident with basic take down and reassembly. The trigger is also crispier. More crispy? Both characteristics feel similar to les baer and wilson but at a price that's easier to swallow. As mentioned earlier, the Trojan's trigger guard and beaver tail are cut for a higher grip. I don't know if that's what you're looking for but it's a noticeable difference. I'll try to update once I find the time to take it out to play.

Trojan.....shot both....just prefer the Trojan. Although mine is now a smattering of SVI bits, bull barrel, DPM recoil system.......and hard chromed to boot......it still says "Trojan" on the slide... :blush: . A big improvement has been moving to Tripp 10mm mags...