Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

17 or 19

bodene 5

If I had to buy one and only one of the two you chose it would be a 17 RTF2. But I am 6’4” and can conceal it easily. For most people I would pick the 19 for ease of concealment and it can still be used with good effect for competition. I started with a Glock 19 as it was all I had and made it to Master in USPSA with my carry G17 before switching to the 34.

How deep down the rabbit hole do you want to go? I now carry a G17 with the grip reduced, stipled and cut to a G19 length. It is the best of both worlds for me with the longer sight radius, slightly better ballistics and the concealabilty of the 19 ( I carry IWB so the slide length is really no big deal).

You really can’t go wrong with either at the end of the day.

I take it when you say home defense, you're not going to conceal carry. If that's the case a G17. If you are considering conceal carry at all and if you're only going to get 1 handgun, then a G19. The best answer is to get both.

You can always try shooting both and pick the one you like better. Still, get both.

I started off using a 17 for competition and it worked well for me. I got a gen4 34 three days ago and would recommend it to anyone wanting to shoot a Glock competitively. If you are looking for just one, the 17 can be used effectively for both worlds. I'd get a 34 in the future for competitions. Can't ever have enough glocks in my opinion

G19 is a carry gun. Not specifically a HD gun. HD guns can be larger with no downside to the owner. With that said I have a G34 that I use for competition and a G19 with Night Sights at the house. It's not going to make a big difference that I have the smaller gripped gun in my nightstand. BUT if I had a choice I would just get the G17 and use it for both for a while and then decide if you want anything else.

Going along with what others have said, I would suggest the G17 if you are looking for a good all around handgun. It is great for defensive purposes, can hold its own in a match, and can be concealable in certain applications. That being said, if you aren't looking for a concealed carry option, but more of a defensive and possible competitive option, I would go with the G34 for the longer sight radius. I love my G34, looking to get him a big brother here soon, a G35 for limited division.

Edited by bulldog009

17 or 34 for sure. Lots of people love the 19 but a 17 will carry just fine in a holster and the full size grip frame and longer sight radius of the 17 or 34 will be beneficial when shooting it. If competing and HD are the primary uses, why go for a gun with less grip and shorter sight radius?

I would go with a 17 it is the best combo gun IMO. It is great for range work and comps and home defense along with depending on ur body type it can be a good carry gun win win if you ask me

I also have the a 34 and 19. The 19 is my carry gun, competition gun for both uspsa and idpa. The 34 is for my 15yr old for production. I only shot the 34 once in competition 2 weeks ago, I like the longer sight radius but I use my 19 in competition for my my training sessions espcially for idpa. I want to shoot what i'm carrying. If your thinking at all for competition and only can do one gun then the 17. Guns are like tattoos hard to stop at one.

• 2 months later...

The G19 is a stellar all around handgun. From civilian CCW, to uniformed and plain clothed or U.C. LEO work, to home defense, the G19 is immensely popular for good reason.

For years I carried one while working in the middle east. Both concealed and in a drop LEG holster. It was an ideal all around gun for the job.

Now with that being said, throwing competition into the mix, I would opt for the 17 of the two you mentioned. Going outside of those parameters, I would go with 2. A G34 for a game gun and the G 19 for concealed carry. Either would be fine for home defense, but since your game gun is likely to be tricked out, I would just use my carry piece ( the G19) for that role as well, adding a white light to it to allow you to use your non dominant hand to open doors, grab kids, phone 911, whatever.

• 4 weeks later...