Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning question....

Jfarewell

I've been using Hoppes #9 for as long as I can think back to but my wife absolutely hates the smell. It's about the equivalent of her doing her nails around me. =/

Now I'm in the market for a new solvent.... any suggestions? Preferably something that doesn't smell as strong.

I use Hoppes #9 as well and always have. I did try some Frog Lube once and did like the smell, even the wife liked it until I told her how much it cost. She said Hoppes really wasn't that bad... :)

I use FrogLube exclusively now. Love it. But a lot of people will tell you it's snake oil. Whatever. I know it works, it lubes, and it keeps my gun less dirty.

With that said, before I switched, i was using Hoppes Elite to clean, and CLP to lube. The CLP will clean also, but the Hoppes Elite does a better job. Plus, Hoppes Elite has little to no smell. Since you're a big #9 fan, I think that is best bet.

Hoppes Elite has been doing a spectacular job for me, without smelling like traditional solvents. I always soak down the bore and turn my attention to the rest of the gun while the Hoppes does its magic. I would recommend: 1.) track down a large windex sized bottle and 2.) use liberally :)

Home brew works well for me. Equal parts of mineral spirits, dextrin ATF, and kerosene.

Yes a little odor but a very effective and inexpensive cleaner. Mineral spirits and ATF make an effective penetrating oil too.

Related, sort of, is my recent experiment with corrosion x. It is the only thing I have found that actually dissolves rust and prevents its return. Works great on blues steel parts.

Hoppe's Elite Cleaner and the MPro 7 cleaner are made by the same folks IIRC just branded. Both are excellent to clean carbon from barrel etc. and have almost no smell.

Now if you need to remove copper from your barrel they will not work at all on that. Some type of copper remover such as KG12 (no smell) or Montana Extreme cooper remover (smells)works fine as does the foam cleaners which have very little odor.

Odorless mineral spirit to clean and then Militec-1oil . You might want to spray her favorite perfume in the room about this time without her seeing you and then ask her how she likes the smell.....LOL ! Seriously, try odorless mineral spirit. This is what is used to clean racing car parts.

I have been using Fire Clean as of recently but Im pretty sure it is something cheaper that I am paying more for. It works very well and stays where it should so Im not complaining.

Has anyone else heard Frog Lube is just crisco? Anyone ever try lubricating their gun with crisco?

Any way this is kind of interesting read that has been passed around for a while.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

Also, I've been using Hoppes Elite to lube but not to clean. I usually soak the barrel with #9 before cleaning everything else, then clean the barrel and finish with Elite. It's worked great except for that smell.