Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 overall length with aftermarket barrels

cpa5oh

I've got a 35 and a 24 - 35 has a Lone Wolf barrel and the 24 a brand new KKM barrel.

In my .40 Tanfoglio I always loaded to 1.125" and never had a problem. Loaded to 1.125" with these two guns/barrels, I'm having chambering issues where the slides aren't always going all the way back into battery. The offending rounds, once ejected, show that the bullet is running into the rifling (I think that's what it's running into - you can see where the bullet has run into something that put a cut into it.)

Loaded some rounds to 1.115" and had two issues with the gun not going all the way back into battery (out of about 200 rounds.)

I'm not a reloading expert, but I usually don't have problems with my ammunition. 1.115" seems short to me (I've made some rounds at 1.105" for a steel match I'm shooting tomorrow - can't imagine I'll have any issues at that length.)

Anybody have any thoughts on why I'm having this issue? The projectiles I'm using are lead flat points, 180 grain.

Not sure if I got the gunsmith fit or not on the KKM - I ordered direct from KKM and never thought to specify drop in or gunsmith fit. I know that it dropped right into the slide but I had to take some material off the underside in order to allow the slide to rack...had to do that with the KKM I have for the 34, too.

I'll get the barrels reamed. I've got a buddy who suggested this, but he's a 2011 guy so I figured I'd better get an opinion or two from folks that shoot Glocks and may have encountered the same issue.

Thank you!

In my experience some of the aftermarket Glock barrels have tighter throats and with lead bullets it usually makes it's self apparent. One that I have used that didn't is the Wilson barrels,they feed and function as reliably as a OEM IMO. SJ 40

Edited by SJ 40

Not sure if I got the gunsmith fit or not on the KKM - I ordered direct from KKM and never thought to specify drop in or gunsmith fit. I know that it dropped right into the slide but I had to take some material off the underside in order to allow the slide to rack...had to do that with the KKM I have for the 34, too.

I'll get the barrels reamed. I've got a buddy who suggested this, but he's a 2011 guy so I figured I'd better get an opinion or two from folks that shoot Glocks and may have encountered the same issue.

Thank you!

KKM quit selling the gunsmith fit barrels a while back. When I called to ask why, I was told that too many people (that didn't know how) were trying to do the fitting themselves, screwing it up, and then calling KKM to place the blame on the company. Kevin said that might change in the future, but they are selling only drop-in Glock barrels for now.

On the reaming issue - my (very knowledgeable) gunsmith told be that the KKM barrels were very "tight"with the rifling starting very close to the chamber and that he had a hard time even getting the reamer started. He even called Dave Manson to get a specially made reamer that would work after turning the business end of one of his reamers down. When I called KKM, they advised me that one should use a "floating point" reamer on the Glock barrels - just so you know.

Thank you all for this information.

I'm wondering - are Storm Lake barrel buyers/users having the same issues? Might be easier for me to just get a Storm Lake and punt on this KKM...

Thank you all for this information.

I'm wondering - are Storm Lake barrel buyers/users having the same issues? Might be easier for me to just get a Storm Lake and punt on this KKM...

I have a Storm Lake in my 24 and I'm loading 180gr Precision bullets to 1.135 with absolutely no issues so far. I just ran one through the chamber and there's no indication that the bullet is touching the rifling.

You are right I know it...but something doesn't sit right about buying a "drop in" barrel and having to have it sent out for custom work. I could likely sell the KKM for $100 and pick up the Storm Lake for $140...

Ordered a throating reamer from Manson (with a T handle - gonna do it myself.) Spoke with the owner of the company - super nice guy - and he told me if I had any questions call before cutting. It's awesome when you get to speak to an owner and you're just a peon buying a little item (cost $57 total) and the guy cares enough to tell you to call back with questions.

I'll update this thread when done.

For your KKM, you can send it to them with some dummy rounds, and they will ream it out for free. I've had this done to 2 KKM barrels for my G35's, and both came back working great with Bayou Bullets.