Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opening up the loading gate on M2

RAZZ

I know I have seen this discussed before, but I can't find the thread I was looking for. I need to get the loading gate on my new M2 opened up, and I was wondering if you guys feel that sending it off to a gunsmith is money well spent, or do you just typically do it yourself. I'm not afraid to put a file to a brand new shotgun, but I also don't mind spending the money and letting a professional do it, if it's worth it.

Thanks

Do it yourself. I've done three of them. . . two of them still run :roflol: . Taking your time is the key, don't go too far. It took me about three swings to get it where I was really happy(file/dremel some, put it back together, shoot it some). Make sure you don't go too far forward (toward the muzzle/magazine) internally, doing so can result in making your M2 a very expensive paper weight. Yes I have one of those also.

I have done my FN by hand in three different iterations and its turned out great. However, if I had a new M2 or a Versa Max it would be going to Benny Hill, the mill cut they do is a thing of beauty. Send it off once, have it done right and never worry about it again.

I've had an M2 and a VersaMax Tactical done by Benny @ Triangle Shooting Sports. The way he opens them up with the mill can't be duplicated at home. Benny's loading ports are as BIG as they can be made. Look great! Best money I spent for improving my shotgun reloading times. Double or quad loads are easy. Also,if you haven't had your lifter welded...that also comes highly recommended.

John

Edited by FJR05

I did my own this weekend. It turned out very nice:

img_2689.jpg

OK, I cheated, my brother has a Bridgeport:

mike_m1-2.jpg

It's almost mirror smooth:

mike_m1-done.jpg

I am planning on bevelling it more on the inside of the load port and opening up the front some (I need to take a close look at where the tube needs shell support).

I can tell you from shooting it yesterday that it makes a huge difference. Loading was much more consistent. I won't embarrass myself with a video from the match, but I don't end up fumbling the rounds anymore when I don't bring them up perfectly centered on the load port...

I sent my to Triangle Shooting Sports and they did a great job, in a timely fashion. They have the experience to know what works and what doesn't so in my opinion you get a lot of experience and a quality job for a nominal investment.

Good morning, all,

What do you do after machining to restore the surface hardness? Once the hard anodizing is machined away, the aluminum is quite soft and I'd be inclined to believe this is problematic. Any thoughts, suggestions, or shared experience would be helpful.

Regards,

Rob

Thanks, Mr. Hill.

Sometimes what appears to be a problem isn't, such as the case here, but I figured I'd better ask to alleviate my concerns. Odd things sometimes happen that are not forseen, and I'm usually the guy to find out the hard way!

Once again, thanks for the information.

Warmest regards,

Rob

Not to hijack but, Everyone talks about triabgle. What's the going rate to have lifter welded, trigger job, and loading gate done?(versamax) You guys are braver than me putting the versamax on the mill. LoL looks good guys!!

I bet they load and function awesome.

I decided to give the "load 2" technique a try with my M2, but the loading port is so tight that I can't use the second round to push the first in no matter how much force I apply. Does milling out the loading port help with this?

Yes, it makes a huge difference

Nice milling job although I might be inclined to include an inward bevel and round off the edges. Those look like cutting edges.

Heh, I did break the edge on it to eliminate that. That said, after practicing with it for a while I decided to make it more "funnel-like":

img_2741.jpg

You can easily do it at home, just be careful. Though sending it to Benny is never a bad choice. I'll post pics of mine when I get home. Dremmeling can lead to a much smoother contour with no edges and cheaper than sending out. I went so far forward I needed a super black eagle lifter, but is all beautifully smooth now. Don't forget a polish and tune on the shell latch will complete the job quite nicely.