Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Lady Shooter pistol selection

wwirts

Good day all my fellow shooters, my girlfriend/fiancee' is shall you say a petite lady of only 4'-11" tp 5'-0" and is very small frame.

My issue/problem is getting her hand to fit comfortably around a double stack pistol frame that is on the production gun list.

She prefers to shoot 9mm and has handled a S&W M&P and like the feel but still has an issue of fully reaching the trigger and possibly handling the pistol in a controlled safe manner.

She has shot a Kahr P9 and passed her state CCW class and She owns a snubby 38 revolver.

Her hand from Thumb to Pinky spread wide is only 7" with her right index finger only 2.5" in length.

Any help in selected a production model would be of great help!! That way she and I can go check them out at a local gun shop not to mention that is sure would sure cut the time invovled in getting her on the range to practice and then into some other training to build up her confidence and ability to possibly shoot in a match at some point in the future.

Thanks

She might want to look at a Walther P99. It's got about the smallest grip of any full size 9mm I have. Also comes with interchangeable back straps, so make sure it has the smallest one installed.

I have struggled with grip sizes since I started shooting USPSA about 3 years ago. For that very reason I lookied long and hard for the perfect pistol and finally settled in on an M&P Pro (2 - 40's and 1 - 9) the feel and grip were the best of any that I had handled and even though I did not end up doing it you can reverse the magazine release button which allows many women and small-handed men like myself to use their trigger finger for mag changes. Best of luck and let her make the final decision :)

I've got really small hands too & I started production with a CZ SP-01 with the aluminum slim grips. No problems.

The baby eagle is very similar, but with a thinner grip from front to back so there's less trigger reach. My wife likes it because it's full size with enough weight to soak up recoil.

She might want to look at a Walther P99. It's got about the smallest grip of any full size 9mm I have. Also comes with interchangeable back straps, so make sure it has the smallest one installed.

Warning on this pistol it also has a lot of muzzle flip. I had a P99 way back when in 40sw and it was the worst kicking 40 I have owned. I bought a PPQ for a friend in 9mm and it was not too bad but it still had much more muzzle flip compared to my GLock 19 or 17.

Pat

^^^ That's the trouble with choosing a small, light pistol to match small hands, they generally kick like mules!

I bought a S&W model 60 .357 for my wife because it fit her so well, but even I didn't like shooting it loaded with .357. I shot the Ruger LCR ONCE; that little thing is like a firecracker going off in your hand :surprise:

My Fiance realized, after I had her shoot it, that my open gun was the best choice for her. Basically, although it is a big pistol, the trigger can be short and shooting minor the gun doesn't recoil at all. albeit it is loud, but that can be corrected easier than getting someone to shoot a higher recoiling pistol.

Just my experience.

My Fiance realized, after I had her shoot it, that my open gun was the best choice for her. Basically, although it is a big pistol, the trigger can be short and shooting minor the gun doesn't recoil at all. albeit it is loud, but that can be corrected easier than getting someone to shoot a higher recoiling pistol.

Just my experience.

This is exactly what I was afraid of...

After explaining the various divisions to my Fiancé, she announced a desire to try open. She is rather petite and her hands are easily fatigued by heavy/long trigger pulls. We decided to get her a single stack gun with narrow grips and a light trigger and see where it goes. I wan't to make sure she really likes the sport before pouring money and time into an open gun that I have no intention of using.

Its always good to see more women and "youts" (think - My Cousin Vinny) in this sport.

My wife is about the same size. She shoots an XDm with the smallest blackstrap. She likes it, but doesn't shoot as often as she would like. If she gets more into it I'll spend the money on a trigger job and extended mag release.

The other option we looked at was a 9mm 1911 with a short trigger and thin grips for single stack. We went with the XDm because I won it in a raffle!

A Gen 4 Glock 17 would be perfect for a person with smaller hands, as the grip circumference is slim without any backstraps attached.

I disagree I have pretty small hands and sold my gen 4 cuz it was still too big.

IMO a cz 75 with thin aluminum grips is perfect and if you got the short reset trigger it would be even better for her.

My vote is the Glock 34 4th Gen. Its manageable for recoil and grip size is reasonable. My wife has been shooting a STI Spartan .45 in SS and decided to move to the 34. Do you think Limited Minor or Production would be better for this gun.

Good day all my fellow shooters, my girlfriend/fiancee' is shall you say a petite lady of only 4'-11" tp 5'-0" and is very small frame.

My issue/problem is getting her hand to fit comfortably around a double stack pistol frame that is on the production gun list.

She prefers to shoot 9mm and has handled a S&W M&P and like the feel but still has an issue of fully reaching the trigger and possibly handling the pistol in a controlled safe manner.

She has shot a Kahr P9 and passed her state CCW class and She owns a snubby 38 revolver.

Her hand from Thumb to Pinky spread wide is only 7" with her right index finger only 2.5" in length.

Any help in selected a production model would be of great help!!

One of the most friendly to small hands and short fingers is Browning HI Power. Some PDs authorized it for lady officers because they could shoot it better than Berettas.

Might also try the CZ 75.

Edited by bountyhunter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

1911 9mm with short trigger and if you need to add thin grips for a very slim package. With a 9pound recoil spring the gun shoots very soft and flat as it has a little weight on it but not bad at all. The sti spartan can be had for cheap and mine runs great. And I had the money to get it ready to run with magwell trigger job and a new front sight (personal preference) for less than a trojan