Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Carbines Which Do You Like?

I showed up to a combat 3-Gun with the Camp 9, CZ Shadow Custom, and my 1100 Open Shotgun, took the dot off, left the speed loaders at home. Now those IDPA guys went nuts, when I won the thing. They kept complaining about the 9 mm, then I'd say seriously 22 cal?

The Camp 9 has a horrible trigger, no one wants to try to make it better. Ours runs with the 20rd Mecar mags, but keeping a 30rd mag running is a challenge.

Observations:

Colt & RR Arms 9 mm AR - Nice.

Keltec and Hi-Point - Choking and Puking on every stage.

JustRight - No, I'd rather go Camp 9

Local Alex Wakal builds 9 mm uppers. http://www.dreadnaught-industries.com/parts.htm

I've got a 9mm Just Right Carbine and I love it. Zero malfunctions. 95% of the ammo thru it was hand loads by me. I would say the only thing I wish it did was lock the bolt back after the last round. It does have an ambi charging handle to make it easy to manipulate. I am in the process of putting it in my trust and making it an SBR.

• 1 month later...

I got in line for the new JP GMR-13 a few months back. It uses a new lower that takes Glock mags without a magwell block. I'll let you know how it shoots in another 3-5 months when I see it

Did that JP come in yet? I'm curious to know how it runs.

• 2 months later...

I have a GMR coming...just submitted the order on monday. Should be like beginning of Feb maybe? They said they thought it would run to the 16 week mark.

Once I have it in hand I'll be sure to post a review because first hand info is hard to come by in the wild. My guess is not too many get sold. I'll be using mine for short course 3gun stuff and steel matches

Bob.

+1 for Mech-Tech. I run mine w/ a Glock 17 lower and 50 round drum Mag. Load Monday and shoot all week. Only caution is it doesn't like 115 WWB and prefers 124 or 147 grain +P FMJ ammo. Not an issue if you reload. Just my 1 2/5 cents after taxes. :roflol:

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my GMR12 from JP out to the range this past week. During break in, zeroing and testing it ate everything from Blazer 124gr, Remington 115gr, Winchester 147 tcm, to white box 115gr. about 400 rounds with zero malfunctions. Hornady 135gr. critical defence ammo shot 1.5" high at 50 yards and 1.5" low at 100 yards. Even rapid fire with a 100 round beta Cmag produced zero malfunctions.

After cleaning I got the chance to shoot it in a Steel Challenge match witch surprised me because their isn't a division for pistol caliber carbines. But the match director allowed it if I let the other shooters try it on smoke and hope for fun. 4 stages in about 65 seconds.

The action is a little clunky while firing when compaired to a .223 gas gun. I am blaming it in the heavier 9mm bolt and buffer. The gun was always ready and waiting on me to get to the next target so the clunkyness didn't seem to slow me down much if at all. It just feels different when shooting. My times at the Steel Challenge match were as fast or faster with the GMR12 and a red dot than I normally do with an iron sited rim fire carbine.

I am very pleased with the JP. They took right at 16 weeks from when the check cleared to complete the build and ship the weapon. That was with in their estimate of 8 to 16 weeks. The dual charging system is pretty slick as well.

I just got my GMR12 from JP out to the range this past week. During break in, zeroing and testing it ate everything from Blazer 124gr, Remington 115gr, Winchester 147 tcm, to white box 115gr. about 400 rounds with zero malfunctions. Hornady 135gr. critical defence ammo shot 1.5" high at 50 yards and 1.5" low at 100 yards. Even rapid fire with a 100 round beta Cmag produced zero malfunctions.

After cleaning I got the chance to shoot it in a Steel Challenge match witch surprised me because their isn't a division for pistol caliber carbines. But the match director allowed it if I let the other shooters try it on smoke and hope for fun. 4 stages in about 65 seconds.

The action is a little clunky while firing when compaired to a .223 gas gun. I am blaming it in the heavier 9mm bolt and buffer. The gun was always ready and waiting on me to get to the next target so the clunkyness didn't seem to slow me down much if at all. It just feels different when shooting. My times at the Steel Challenge match were as fast or faster with the GMR12 and a red dot than I normally do with an iron sited rim fire carbine.

I am very pleased with the JP. They took right at 16 weeks from when the check cleared to complete the build and ship the weapon. That was with in their estimate of 8 to 16 weeks. The dual charging system is pretty slick as well.

Can you post a pics with mags inserted. Interested on JP GMR as well if the Sig Sauer MPX-c is not coming out.

I just got one of the Yankee Hill Machine kits from Midway (the one without sights and railed forearm) and I've had a blast with it!! So far it's been 100% with 5 different types of ammo including handloads and HST 124 +p's. I've been interested in a 9mm conversion for a while and this was the most affordable kit I could find. I was pleasantly surprised at the fit and finish of all the components including the upper's fit to my PSA lower. The Hahn mag block slipped right in, I swapped buffers, assembled the upper and lower together and topped it off with an Aimpoint. Within 5 shots I was zeroed and grinning from ear to ear.

I have a Camp 9 and the Beretta mag Sub2K and like them both. The Marlin is far more "fun" to shoot and is a gas with a cheap red dot. The Sub2K has a terrible trigger that prevents me from liking it any better. I also have an old Cobray M-11 carbine that runs like a raped ape and is a lot of fun. In fact, I intend to mount a rail on top of the hand guard on the Cobray so I can affix a red dot and light on it for night-time Zombie matches. I have several of the original plastic mags for the Cobray but also have a buch of converted sub-gun (Masden I think) steel mags that work 100% in the Cobray. It was only after I got the KelTec and I was thinking about mounting a red dot on it that I remembered the old Cobray moldering in the back of the safe. It already has a stout steel hand guard that should be ideal for rail/dot mounting.

• 3 weeks later...

if you haven't yet I highly recommend swapping in JP's silent captured spring for the GMR-12. It short strokes the action and also allows the weight to be removed from the bolt carrier. It shoots much flatter now.