Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frustrated with my new 1050

I decided to buy myself something new and purchased a brand new super 1050 in 223. It's been a headache and I've yet to load a round.

I recieved the thing three days ago and setup/mounted it. Removed all the dies just to make sure it cycled fine.

Well the case feed jams constantly with/without the spacer.

223 cases get stuck behind the microswitch lever and on top of the case feed tube(yes its installed arrow up)

and then after removing the case feed for the fifth or sixth time to Unjam it the set screw pulled out the back of the casefeeder.

Now its unusable because without the casefeeder lifted up/set it puts so much downward pressure on the case feeding arm that it jams and won't feed a case into the shell plate.

What a headache..... I've never had this many problems in the dozen or so other Dillon presses I've owned.

Edited by rrflyer

As for the case feeder plate #13703 Spacer (.41, .44, .45LC, .357, .30 Carbine) not needed for .223.

The micro switch lever can be bent so the cases slide through.

Or try loosen the micro switch and see if you can adjust the angle of the lever.

Do you have the white case feed tube adapter installed?

As for the case feeder plate #13703 Spacer (.41, .44, .45LC, .357, .30 Carbine) not needed for .223.

The micro switch lever can be bent so the cases slide through.

Or try loosen the micro switch and see if you can adjust the angle of the lever.

Do you have the white case feed tube adapter installed?

All of the above.... the microswitch after bending the actuator can sometimes still be an issue. I have been planning to use small nylon washers to center it better in the tube but haven't had the time to get it done. I just keep a small skinny screw driver on the bench to prod a case should it get stuck. It really happens once every 200 cases or so.

I made a spacer out of a guitar pick that moved the microswitch arm back as far as It can go.

Unfortunately 223 cases can still get behind it. I don't know if there is a new mold on the clear front pieces but this one has a "belly" on it that bows in towards the motor and allows the case to get behind the switch arm.

I can't get the tube 1/4" below the mouth because the set screw pulled out of the casefeeder plastic.

Nonwhite plastic piece, I believe that's for the older case feeds .

Edited by rrflyer

The same thing happens with my case feeders but its not very often. You need to make sure the gap between the case feed tube and case feeder is such that when the tube is full of brass the microswitch is hitting the body of the brass and not the neck, that way it will fully engage the switch and shut off the feeder.

My problem is the case is actually hitting the top of the tube and has enough room for the case body to get behind the switch.

null_zps5b204594.jpg

Hoping this helps..... Another couple thicker guitar picks to shim the case feeder for now.

Ill be getting Dillon to fix this but after 40 minutes on hold today and no luck ill at least try and make it usable or now

No dice. Still getting stuck cases.

I did fix another problem. The screws that hold the brass guide piece on the casefeeder were screwed in wrong. There were two screw holes for each and the plastic that was pushed out on the other side was lifting enough of the case feed to allow cases underneath. That paired with the brass piece to far from the case feeder allowed the necks of the brass to work under the case feed plate as well.

Now if I can figure out this. The convex bulge actually makes the clear plastic piece wider than the tube below......

So far in getting about 3-4 out of 20 that jam like this.

null_zps3b1894b2.jpg

null_zpsf1190619.jpg

To much pressure on the switch. Take a small pair of needle nose and make a small bend away from the brass case. Just try a little at a time till it passes. Might leave the tube off and try a few cases at a time till you get it set. Hold the cases back with you hand to check the switch.