Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light Primer Strikes

bigdawgbeav

Has anyone experienced and light primer strikes with the Powder River triggers and Winchester or CCI primers?

I haven't tested yet, but I'm having some concerns. I was using Federal primers and they went bang everytime. Unfortunately I had to switch to Winchester and CCI primers since that was all my LGS had in stock.

Currently I have the PRP drop-in kit and using the blue competition springs. Should I swap the blue out and put back in the standard spring?

The problem is most likely from not having enough of the overtravel stop material removed. The more overtravel you eliminate, the less distance the safety lever travels upward. If the safety lever does not travel upward enough, it does not disengage the striker safety which causes what looks like light primer strikes.

Having the same issue with my XDm 5.25 in .40 with a PRP drop in trigger.

When I put the kit in - ran a whole season for me flawlessly - 2000 rounds all Win primer no issues.

Started light striking so I put in another new blue striker spring from PRP and another new Wolff 14lb recoil spring. Problem went away but only for 2-3 months.

Now it's doing it constantly. Trying to figure out the cause - I don't think it's the springs. Something else is wearing in and changing something - I will have to look at my striker safety and over travel stop on the trigger.

Having the same issue with my XDm 5.25 in .40 with a PRP drop in trigger.

When I put the kit in - ran a whole season for me flawlessly - 2000 rounds all Win primer no issues.

Started light striking so I put in another new blue striker spring from PRP and another new Wolff 14lb recoil spring. Problem went away but only for 2-3 months.

Now it's doing it constantly. Trying to figure out the cause - I don't think it's the springs. Something else is wearing in and changing something - I will have to look at my striker safety and over travel stop on the trigger.

Try putting in a new blue spring maybe they wear faster than we think. How many rounds since changing the last one?

I've got a vacation day today so I am playing around with this XDm trying to get it back to 100% function which I took for granted for sooo long...

I load on a Hornady LnL Press. The primer punch has worn a small divot into the cast aluminum frame. Using the stick that comes out the end of my dial caliper, I'm seeing some of my newer ammo primers only being 0.5 to 1.5 thou below flush with the case. Some of my older ammo is more like 3.0-8.0 thou below flush. Some Remington Golden Saber factory ammo I have is mostly 2.5-3.5 thou below flush. I may be getting high primers.

I stuck a wood pencil in the barrel and pulled the trigger and the pencil goes flying like 4-6 feet across the room. Very consistent even if I squeeze the trigger slowly or slap it. I don't think it's the gun or PRP parts or springs at this point.

Sooo...

Just took shell plate off of my LnL and did some measuring. If I stick a dime over the divot worn into the LnL press frame by the primer punch, I gain 5 thou of primer punch/ram actuation depth. I actually have two LnL's and measured both of my small primer punch/rams also - they were within a thou.

I think I may be onto something.

Well I just finished running 100 left over rounds from last weeks Ohio State match, back through my LnL giving a really good shove on the prime. All dies out, safety glasses and face shield on no loose primers or powder nearby.

Many show almost no depth of primer below flush using the caliper stick out piece.

I checked one by one, each of the rounds I just ran through to reseat primers. All are 4 thou to 11 thou below flush. This is with a dime under the primer punch. I dented the dime also. Really leaned on these.

Headed to my local club now to shoot some steel practice with this ammo to see if my gun is running again. Have a USPSA match in the AM at this same club. Will reseat primers on the remaining 200 rounds if these all go bang and I think they will.

Thanks for all the info. I put in my original striker spring to be safe. When I get a chance I'll do some comprehensive testing

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

DO NOT USE THE ORIGINAL STRIKER SPRING WITH A PRP KIT! Don't want to give details but it's a bad idea.

Thanks for all the info. I put in my original striker spring to be safe. When I get a chance I'll do some comprehensive testing

DO NOT USE THE ORIGINAL STRIKER SPRING WITH A PRP KIT! Don't want to give details but it's a bad idea.

Yeah um... you totally can't do that. Details must follow, possibly pictures.

Why not? The Ultimate Match Trigger Kit that you have to fit does NOT come with a replacement striker spring. You use the factory spring. So why would using the factory spring be any different with a drop in kit? I have 5K through my gun with the OEM spring and not a single problem. Just asking......

Why not? The Ultimate Match Trigger Kit that you have to fit does NOT come with a replacement striker spring. You use the factory spring. So why would using the factory spring be any different with a drop in kit? I have 5K through my gun with the OEM spring and not a single problem. Just asking......

Talked with Daniel from Prp yesterday(Sunday) and he said it is fine to use original striker spring.

Talked with Daniel from Prp yesterday(Sunday) and he said it is fine to use original striker spring.

I'm inclined to think the same thing. I'm thinking it was a freak accident. Ill know more when I get the gun to a gunsmith for some forensics.

I know folks are looking for details, but I'm not going public with all the details.

i have a lighter striker spring but i can ignite small rifle magnum (wolf) with no problem...(i believe the wolf SRM - the hardest of them all. lol)

put back the original if problem still persists...

I am guessing here but it sounds like to me you didn't quite take enough material off the back of the trigger overtravel stop or it came to you at the point where it will release the sear but not quite enough to push the striker safety all the way up and out of the way of the striker. This will cause light primer strikes and all kinds of crazy problems. Tell me how far off I am.

Edited by bowenbuilt

I am guessing here but it sounds like to me you didn't quite take enough material off the back of the trigger overtravel stop or it came to you at the point where it will release the sear but not quite enough to push the striker safety all the way up and out of the way of the striker. This will cause light primer strikes and all kinds of crazy problems. Tell me how far off I am.

He has the drop in kit, so I would assume he wouldn't take any material off the over travel stop.

I'm inclined to think the same thing. I'm thinking it was a freak accident. Ill know more when I get the gun to a gunsmith for some forensics.

I know folks are looking for details, but I'm not going public with all the details.

I think I know what you are talking about. Was it your xd?

He has the drop in kit, so I would assume he wouldn't take any material off the over travel stop.

The drop in kit still uses the PRP trigger with built-in over travel stop. I wasn't under the impression that this trigger comes pre-fit.

Regardless, it seems the OP figured out the issue was due to high primers. Striker fired pistols, in general, are more finicky when it comes to high primers compared to guns with hammers.