Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The End to Corn in Flash Holes

CocoBolo

Recently I went on a beng loading .223. The first 1,000 were not too bad as only an occasional flash hole was plugged with corn, and along with the preload drop check I would push it out.

As the corn became more Lubed from cleaning lube off of the sized cases it became every case and then the next batch became the whole darn case filled with corn, had to dig it out with a piece of stainless steel wire.

So I come to Benos I read everthing I can find on the subject. First up was ultra sonic, I find some videos on U-Tube, after watching those I calculated that I would be too darn old to shoot by the time I cleaned 5,000 cases. Then I read about proponol aka Rubbing Alchol, make a little trip down to the store stock up. I tried it, after washing in Alchol well they felt stickey. Since I had corn all over the shop any time I set a case down a pice of corn stuck to it, then jammed up the drop check.

Glass beads, nope, the part about wearing the mask scared me.

I decied to try Walnut, after reading a post about the fine walnut from harbor freight not clogging the flash holes. I have 2,000 cases washed in alchol that are stickey on the outside who know what on the inside, and some of those had been in the corn and had spots on them that was like chunks of bubble gum, the grey kind. Into the tumbler they went. The wife wanted me to go matress shopping, so we did and it took as you can guess all afternoon, when I returned looked in the tumbler they were as clean as new and shiny, so into the media seperator they went, they came out with nothing in them, no clogged flash holes.

So $25 for 25# is about as good as it gets and worth every penny.

Add some mineral spirts to the mix. Here is a very good vid on reloading 223, This guy is my hero!!!! Alot of good tips and tricks for 223

what was the last step in the video? what was he measuring?
Neck run-out. It's common in the benchrest crowd to turn the necks and check concentricity.

Glad it's way overkill, for what I need!

Edited by kampr

I buy walnut at the pet store. They sell it for "Lizard Litter", or something like that. A little Nu Finish and some cut up dryer sheets and.....bam!

So I need to ask, what are the dryer sheets for? And what kind of sheet are you using, Bounce?

WHAT IT'S WORTH !

A high volume re-loader & brass sales told me a long time ago.

I have a big Dillon Vibe, use course walnut shell from Harbor Freight ( 25 lb box ).

Put it in the vibe Then spray with mineral spirits from a spray bottle.

Works good, smells bad, No smokers emptying your vibe.

Oh ! I just spray the top layer before installing cases in vibe. Just enough to dampen not a gooey mess.

Be Careful, hillbilly - don't do dumb sheit.

Perry

Edited by perrysho

I buy walnut at the pet store. They sell it for "Lizard Litter", or something like that. A little Nu Finish and some cut up dryer sheets and.....bam!

So I need to ask, what are the dryer sheets for? And what kind of sheet are you using, Bounce?

I either use left over ones from my wifes laundry or occasionally grab a new sheet of Arm and Hammer something or other.

No more dryer sheets, the wife read about how it puts some chemical into the clothes that gets into your body, I don't remember all the side affects but maybe that could cause some severe health issues. Tooth paste is another silent killer.

I figure the outcome is always the same anyway its just a matter of sooner or later.

Paper towels does sound good, I ran the tumbler with no top with corn but with this walnut it is like a Iraq sand storm it gets into everything!

My first post title would have provoked some good jokes so I toned it down a bit

No more cornholling for me. Seriously.

I've used corn media for 20 yrs or more with never a flash hole problem. Get the corn media that has the consistency of corn meal, real fine. Comes with or without polish added.

Got a $2 lettuce strainer and a plastic tub. Pour brass and media in the strainer after vibrating and shake it like you're panning for gold. Gets all the media out.

.02 cents worth

Actually the RCBS media seperator works well, then throw just the brass in the tumbler for 20 minutes and waaahalaaaaa lots of corn in there. But the lyman corn I have been using for the last 5 years, not the same stuff I change it out about every 6 months is like grit you buy for chickens, sticks in flash holes like crazy, then when it gets a good amount of lube in it packs itself in the case solid wedge in there like you packed it with an asphalt roller. I probably do 20,000 cases by the time I swap the corn out, dry sheets etc.

I've done 2,000 cases so far in the fine walnut still cleaning and pouring out easily no plugged flash holes, only another 2,000 to go for this year, my annual .223 ordeal.

Edited by CocoBolo