Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

which powder

bodene 5

For versatility I think that 231 would get the nod. I don't think there is a pistol caliber that can't be reloaded with ww231.

All purposes does that mean Production, Limited, Open, and 9 mm, 40, and 45? That is a tall order, the only powder that will make 9 major is WSF, and it will do the other things as well. Never used it.

WST works best on Moly, Bayou, or Lead bullets. It is a pretty twin to 231, load data is near identical, but easier to find for 231. Both are temp sensative. I've used a lot of WST some with Jacketed bullets and it works fine for them as well.

In all cases you will be compromising something, so if Ok is good enough, pick one. I shoot open, Ok is not even close to good enough.

There is no one best powder or one that can do everything well.

231/HP38 -- fantastically accurate in .45 Auto and does quite well for itself in all pistol cartridges up to .44 Mag. Won't give you the highest velocity for magnums, but it does well enough. Won't get you major in 9x19. It has been my first trial powder for most common pistol cartridges.

I haven't found WST to be worth a bucket of warm spit in terms of pure accuracy in any pistol cartridges and bullets I have tried. If it does well in yours, then it's a good powder for you. I like to shoot less than 2.5" at 50 yards, and WSF won't get me there.

WSF is good, but I find Silhouette or Power Pistol to be better. For pure 9x19 shooting, not competition just shooting, PP being the accuracy champ in my guns.

Other versatile powders are AA2 and AA5. AA2 is best in low pressure cartridges (.45 Auto and .38 Spl) and does OK in the others. AA5 is very versatile in all pistol cartridges, much the same as 231/HP38.

Thus, I have a good stock of HP38 and 1# of many other powders.

thanks everyone started with 231 did great for mild to mid loads in 9 mm and 45acp but now I am trying wst 147 lfp in 9 and 200 lrnfp in 45acp. wst seems to be a bit cleaner than 231 all loads are for practice and a local steel match 2 to 3 times a month minor pf loads

Edited by bodene 5

I load .45 major, .40 major and .38 spl with 231/HP3. I just keep buying it, I've loaded over 100 lbs. It's the powder I started with I never saw the need to change. It meters well and is very consistent. Set your PF to about 172 and you'll never be surprised at chrono.

I've shot rested one hole groups at 20 yards with my loads.

Edited by BillD

231 in my 45 loads always leaves powder residue on my arms. I'd like to try some WSF as it may be easier to work loads up for plated and moly which seem to be the only bullets I can find this year.

I like Titegroup Group for my 40 with FMJ, as it's cheap, but runs very hot and is not a good powder for all calibers in my opinion.

I'll agree with 231 (of the powders you mentioned) for versatility. In addition to the aforementioned calibers, it also works in .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, and .45 Colt, with both cast and jacketed bullets.