Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Gun Finishing 101 course

Who Knew

I'm in the process of getting a fitted barrel/slide/frame kit and I'm going to do the rest, besides the finish. In trying to do some research on finishes I can't find any comparison photos of multiple slides with different types of prep and the same finish applied. For instance, I think I want the frame and slide cerakoted. The slide is going to be tri-topped so I was thinking brushed sides and matte on the tops but I don't want to screw it up. Besides appearance what benefits are achieved from the different types of prep work. Do some wear better than others?

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated or if anyone wants give a reinishing 101 course that would be great too. My search-fu has led me nowhere.

Your prep work won't be very relevant unless you want to talk about different media blast grit finishes... because the person applying Cerakote will be media blasting the guns entire suface. Cerakote, like most all spray on finishes require some "tooth" of the metal so that the Cerakote has something to adhere to.

You can have the base color finish topped with a gloss clear Cerakote if you want some shine (or just parts of the gun, if you want a gloss/matte combination), but you don't want to spray Cerakote on, say... a 400, 600 grit or polished metal surface because it won't adhere very well.

I suggest you review the surface finish requirements found on the Cerakote website... that will define your level of metal prep.

C

Your prep work won't be very relevant unless you want to talk about different media blast grit finishes... because the person applying Cerakote will be media blasting the guns entire suface. Cerakote, like most all spray on finishes require some "tooth" of the metal so that the Cerakote has something to adhere to.

You can have the base color finish topped with a gloss clear Cerakote if you want some shine (or just parts of the gun, if you want a gloss/matte combination), but you don't want to spray Cerakote on, say... a 400, 600 grit or polished metal surface because it won't adhere very well.

I suggest you review the surface finish requirements found on the Cerakote website... that will define your level of metal prep.

C

Thanks for pointing me to the Cerakote website. In all my searching I couldn't see the forest for the trees. I never even thought about there site directly. Anyway, using there applicator locator I I think I've found someone in my area who I can consult/use if I do decide to go with Cerakote. As a side note, there gallery had a ton of pics with different finishes.