Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is stock 75B or 75BD competive in production out of the box?

jman93

I currently shoot a G34 and am looking at moving to the CZ platform for the heavier gun and superior trigger. I know the SP01 or Shadow would be preferred by most, but I'm not looking to spend that much. Is the 75B or 75BD competitive out of the box? I assume almost anything will be an improvement over the Glock trigger I have currently.

I have a 75B and the double action trigger is really crappy compared to the shadows I have shot.
I am no Glock fan, but I would have to give the nod to a tuned glock trigger over MY stock 75.

That being said, get Mink or Angus or one of the other CZ guys to do a trigger job for you then the stakes change.

Not really. The stock trigger on the 75b (and bd) was not very crisp in single-action. Also, the sights are carry-oriented sights that are not very awesome for competition. That is easy to fix with a hammer kit from cajun gun works and some sights, but that's a couple hundred bucks, so now you're getting close to the price of an sp01 shadow. If you really can't afford an sp01 shadow, then I would recommend whatever kind of aftermarket trigger stuff is available for glock, and then buy lots of ammo and do alot of dry-fire practice.

I shoot a 75b (.40) in production that I modified to work pretty well, but it ended up costing as much or more than a shadow. The only reason I didn't get a shadow is I wanted a .40.

Since you can't start cocked and locked in Production, the differences are very subtle.

If you plan to keep it truly 'box stock' or simply change springs, I would prefer the decocker for the easy operation at LAMR which all ROs are comfortable with. On the other hand if you want to do some further mods, they would be simpler (with more options) on the frame safety model.

I would be open to changing springs and other minor modifications immediately, but a full trigger job would have to wait until next year. The main reason I am looking at going this route is because I have a line on one of these new for about $450.

Good advice so far. I shot my 75B .40 a few times for production and it worked great. I think I got lucky with this one, I didn't have to replace the sear or hammer to get a decent trigger - just polishing made it OK. My next CZ - a 75SA - had just about the worst trigger I have come across. Even my SP-01 Shadow would benefit from a trigger job - it is nice and light, but a bit creepy in SA.

Also, the standard CZ75B mag release - the round one - is not really suited to quick reloads, at least for me. You have to go to a stainless model, an Omega or a Shadow to get the extended mag.

Otherwise, sights, polishing and a CGW hammer/sear kit would get you a nice setup for less than $200

I would be open to changing springs and other minor modifications immediately, but a full trigger job would have to wait until next year. The main reason I am looking at going this route is because I have a line on one of these new for about $450.

Since you can't start cocked and locked in Production, the differences are very subtle.

If you plan to keep it truly 'box stock' or simply change springs, I would prefer the decocker for the easy operation at LAMR which all ROs are comfortable with. On the other hand if you want to do some further mods, they would be simpler (with more options) on the frame safety model.

Good information but I have one comment: I am not sure how long the CZ has been on the list for Production, but I know for a fact that I first started using a SP-01 in 2006. So, if RO's are not "comfortable" with the decock procedure, it is a RO issue and not an equipment issue.I dont think this issue should drive equipment choice.

Later,

Chuck

I have a 75B RSR Retro, a 75B Omega, an 85 pre-b, and a P01. And they all just sit in the safe, as I shoot my 34 for production because I like the trigger better.

I've had the fortune to feel a tuned Shadow and I must say they are amazing. I don't know about a stock one, but a tuned on I would take over a stock Glock 34 trigger any day.

As far a stock goes, the DA trigger pull SUCKS on everything I own. The Omega trigger is the worst, the pre-b 85 is the best and everything else in the middle. The CZ 85 pre-b is the only one I can pull from double action without jerking the gun low left on the break. No matter how slow I try I can't keep the DA pull on the omega trigger anywhere. The stock 75B DA trigger isn't much better than the Omega.

The CZ 85 pre-b is the only one I can pull from double action without jerking the gun low left on the break.

Lee, what hammer springs do you have installed in your DA CZs? any spring north of 13# is pretty brutal if you ask me. I've got an 11.5# in right now and plan to mess around with a 8.5#.

The gun is as competitive as you are.

To some, a heavier gun is great and all but the balance of the firearm means more than the actual listed weight. Shadows are nose heavy and while some people appreciate the reduction in muzzle climb they find them to be slower to transition between targets.

This is the reason why i chose my G17's over my G34.

I just picked up my shadow today and i had a hell of a time deciding between the Shadow line (ie traditional CZ75 dustcover) or the more front heavy Shadow Target. I picked the target today because i know they are in high demand and if i find i dont like the added muzzle weight i can simply sell this and move to the lighter front CZ 75.

One gun will not make you shoot better than the other. Getting the FEATURES, YOU want in the pistol matters more than anything.

Edited by Magsz

The magwell area on the 75b, to my knowledge, is not beveled and you cannot bevel it per USPSA Production rules. (I've got an 85 combat and this is the case with the 85C.) I don't know if that's an issue for you, but in watching my match videos with any gun, often times my ability to move between shooting areas is limited by how long it takes me to do a reload...I need all the help I can get there...

Anyway you could stretch to get an 85c? No firing pin block...when I got mine I hated the trigger (rough, heavy as hell) but when I did some home gunsmithing (polishing) and put the Cajun ultralight kit in the trigger was very good (also put in the hammer kit at a later date - not nearly the drastic improvement as the first round of 'trigger work' got me.)

Edited by cpa5oh