Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Federal magnum sp primers?

twister

Depends on who you ask. Someone on here claimed they talked to the factory and they stated the SPP and SPM primers were made of the same cup material and therefore where the same "softness". Back in 2008, when a very similar shortage was going on, I tried using some of the Fed SPM in my revolver (with a very light trigger) and I went from 100% ignition to about 98%. Yeah, it could have been me but after several thousand rounds of both, I thought I had the process down but you never know.

I've used SPM primers in my g34 9mm loads. I had light strike issues with a light striker spring. After switching to the standard striker spring I had no issues at all.

Was it due to the spring alone or did the Magnum primer vs the standard primer play a part in it?

Also, the SPM Feds run 100% in all my SA firearms, just had the issue with my customized 627 revolver.

I was ready to post a similar question. I just inadvertently picked up 2,000 CCI small pistol MAGNUM primers. I've been running 3.6 grs of VV 3N320 under 147 gr. Berry plated RN.

If I run the magnum primers, will I have to adjust my powder charge?

Any other issues I should consider?

General wisdom is to back off and test. In my experience, it won't make much difference with any of the powders we use!

Mike

Edited by Croomrider

General wisdom is to back off and test. I'm my experience, it won't make much difference with any of the powders we use!

Mike

+1...I loaded several Fed, Wolf, and CCI SPM and SPP in 9Major there was not any significant difference...and the PF was the same for all the strings I tested. HOWEVER, do be cautious and start a little lower since there are too many variables for every reloading situation.

The point of magnum primers is to have a bit longer spark to light up slower powders in long cases. With faster powders it matters little since those powders will light up almost immediately anyway. With slower powders it matters, especially near the maximum loadings, as they will act more like faster powders since more of the powder column will be exposed to the flame than normally would. Thus, if using medium and slower powders near the max loadings with magnum primers in standard primer situations, back off a bit and test... like .1 or .2 grns..

has anyone had breech face erosion when low pressure minor loads don't seal the magnum primer all the way?

I had that happen with one of two of my major .40 open loads so it is a possibility with minor

has anyone had breech face erosion when low pressure minor loads don't seal the magnum primer all the way?

I use them all of the time for both 40 major and minor and have never had a hint of a problem!

Mike