Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question about how SC matches are run

niroth81

Hi guys,

Our local pistol club is going to be running a state title stel challenge match in a month.

We will have about 80 shooters and the match will be run over 2 days, using all 8 handgun courses of fire.

I'm wondering if I can get some input from people who have attended matches of this size.

The suggestion from our club is they will run 8 squads of 10. 4 squads will run 4 CoF, the other 4 squads will run the remaining 4 CoF, then swapping the next day. 2 ROs allocated to each squad and they will stick with the squads throughout both days.

Is this the way matches are run there in the states? (We are in Australia)

I feel that there will better ways to run the event but I'm not sure exactly how.

Look forward to hearing suggestions.

Jase

we shoot all the stages in one day and don't move the ROs so every squad gets the same ros on the same stages

then shoot a 2nd gun the next day

see you next month

we shoot all the stages in one day and don't move the ROs so every squad gets the same ros on the same stages

then shoot a 2nd gun the next day

see you next month

+1.

That's how they used to shoot them in Piru when they had the Worlds. Now that it's the West Coast Steel Championships (and smaller, but still about the size you're talking about) we self-RO (Is that a term? Self-regulate???) without any dedicated RO's other than the rangemaster to settle disputes. Just have a clipboard and timer at each station and the squads (formed in no particular fashion) run each other through. Since the stages never change and are so straight-forward, I think this is easier and safer to do it this way for a Steel Challenge than an IPSC match. Personally, I'd rather have an RO at each stage, but then it becomes a money issue affecting entry fee if you have to pay eight or sixteen RO's to be there-- pick your poison in that regard.

Run it over however many days you want, but don't worry about splitting squads up into divisions; here you may have an open pistol shooting alongside a rimfire rifle. Similarly, a shooter may come in early, run through a full course, then switch out gear and get a second round in in a different division before the day is done. Just note everything correctly on the score sheet and call it good.