Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kimber Custom II

CaptRob

I have someone trying to trade me a Kimber Custom II for one of my rifles. I really don't have any need for the Kimber but I thought I could use it for single stack. So I am wondering what everybody thinks of the newer Kimbers and can they hold up to USPSA shooting.

I have been shooting my Custom 2 in SS for the last few months, and for the Area 1 match. It now works, but it was a long journey to make it feed/extract. I will hang on to it since it was my first pistol, but if I could do it over I would have picked something else. In fact after I run limited a while I will probably have a different single stack built.

I had to polish the feed ramp, fit a new Ed Brown extractor, and cut/reprofile the ejector to get it to run. Also gave away the Kimber mags. The finish is terrible. I need to get mine redone. I also took out the Series 2 plunger and related parts. The mag catch was oversized internally and would pinch mags if you depressed it fully.

Wilson ETM mags helped a ton.

If you take the trade it you will probably want a good gunsmith to be your friend, or be prepared to read a lot and get comfortable with a file and dremel.

I added a magwell, changed the sights, and went to a GI guide rod setup out of personal preference. Had an EGW barrel bushing fit to get it to group a little better. I resprung the gun too, and now regularly replace them to keep things moving along.

At this point it will run, but it has been a journey. Still somewhat ammo picky. I have to run it quite wet or the slide slows down and the gun hangs up.

On the plus side, the trigger has settled in to a nice 3 lb, 8 oz pull with just a 19 lb mainspring. If you are getting the better end of the trade, and or don't mind doing some tuning on it it can work. Hope this helps!

I have been shooting ss and lim 10 with my kimbers for @ 10 yrs. It helps to know your way around a 1911. I do my own triggers and have kimbers with and without the swartz safety. Never had a problem with it. I did replace the original extractor in one of them at @ 25000 rds. It lost tension. I use all wilson mags 47d and 10rd mags.

I have been shooting my kimber gold match II for a year now and I absolutely love my gun. I have never had a SINGLE problem with it with various factory ammo and 230 RN reloads. It feeds 185 hollow points too. The only things I did were install a FO front sight, add a dawson ice magwell, change the ms. to a 17 lb and tweak the sear spring. That's it.

I use Trip Cobra mags.

i'm new to the 1911 thing, but i have about 900 rounds on a new kimber custom II with zero issues. I attribute it mostly to having shot absolutely 0 rounds through the factory mag. I use all Tripp Cobra mags. i almost had myself convinced, prior to purchasing, that kimbers were junk (from what i read on the internet.) the more i read, the more it sounded like the mags make up for somewhere around 90% of the reliability of a 1911. either people grossly over exagerate gun problems on the internet, or i've just been very, very lucky with all of my "junk" guns that i've bought. :P

It seems as though they slipped in quality control a few years back but are making their way back up. I have a series 1 Gold Match that's 13 years old and never once had a hiccup that wasn't my fault. I've run both kimber mags and cmc's. A buddy of mine bought a kimber recently and his runs very well. The fit and finish aren't as good as my series 1 but it runs.

i'm new to the 1911 thing, but i have about 900 rounds on a new kimber custom II with zero issues. I attribute it mostly to having shot absolutely 0 rounds through the factory mag. I use all Tripp Cobra mags. i almost had myself convinced, prior to purchasing, that kimbers were junk (from what i read on the internet.) the more i read, the more it sounded like the mags make up for somewhere around 90% of the reliability of a 1911. either people grossly over exagerate gun problems on the internet, or i've just been very, very lucky with all of my "junk" guns that i've bought. :P

Big +1 My junk gun runs great.........and where the fit and finish is wrong I couldn't tell..........and I own 3500+ dollar custom 1911's as well......The only thing I can see as a negative is the mainspring was plastic and I replaced it anyway with a dawson ice magwell that had a metal part and possibly the hammer is "mimmed" .........Big deal......it shoots and runs fantastic......

Joe

Edited by ipscjoe

I also recently purchased a Kimber Custom II with three dot night sights. So far, put at least a 1,000 rounds through it with zero issues. Got 2 inch groups right out of the box at 25 yards including bullseyes. I took the advice from people in forums and bought McCormick and Wilson 8 rd mags. I never used the Kimber 7 round mag that was provided so I don,t know its reliability. From my experience it is an excellent 1911 compared to the Remington R1, Ruger SR, and a Springfield I recently fired. This gun I will definitely keep.