Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Colt make over

waterboy

Well after shooting my stock Colt Combat Elite for a year in ss division, I decided it was time to start tinkering with it since I'm shooting production and revo this year. I started out by getting some vz grips and an s&a mag well. Then swapped the sights out for a set of Dawson precision adjustable Novak cut rear and f/o front. I went with these so I wouldn't have to cut the slide for a bomar rear. Then got a little risky and picked up an egw sear, disconector, Koenig hammer, and sear spring and a brownells sear jig and fitted everything. I got the trigger down to an average of 3 pounds( mostly with tweaking the sear spring and polishing). I didn't want to file too much as this is my first trigger job on a 1911. Everything functions very good and the trigger is nice and crisp.

Now it's time to send it away to Rich at Canyon Creek for a squared trigger guard and front strap checkering. Hopefully I can focus on production and revo enough to not go crazy in anticipation waiting for the frame to get done.

Thanks for reading,

Tom

Thanks gawd you didn't post this on the 1911 forum. Cutting on a Colt is considered heresy and possibly treason over there. :)

Not unless it's being done by one of the top 'smiths. ;)

Cut and weld is one way. Another is to, I suppose you would call it - reforge. Heating and reshaping without cutting or welding.

My first customized 1911 had the trigger guard squared through cut and weld.

Guy

post-2563-0-86371300-1370402477_thumb.jppost-2563-0-82365200-1370402381_thumb.jp

Just to get your excited, it is not a Colt, but a Springfield that Rich worked over for the Indiana USPSA Match last year

I love the treatment on the Magwell that he did

post-2563-0-49284500-1370402502_thumb.jp

and the top of slide treatment

post-2563-0-26940700-1370402517_thumb.jp

Great guy to work with

Edited by JakeMartens

• 4 months later...

I finally got my Colt back! The turn around was longer than expected but was understandable due to the circumstances. Here is a picture of the Colt along with my Springfield Loaded .40 that I picked up after I sent the Colt to Canyon Creek. Rich really does amazing work and is a top notch guy. Would recommend him to anyone. Thanks again Canyon Creek!

Tom

post-30592-0-22966200-1383277670_thumb.j

I am using a 200gr bullet for both and with the loads I have they feel about the same as far as recoil goes. Its really a toss up to tell you the truth. The one thing I like about the .40 is I can load 9 rounds into the first mag instead of having to use a barney mag with the .45. Other than that it is going to be tough to decide which one to use at a match because I shoot both fairly well. I think I will tend to shoot the .40 a little more just because it groups a little tighter at longer distances. I think it will also depend on how much ammo I have loaded up for each caliber at that point as well.

Tom