Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow Thin Safeties

KLR

I been having a problem flipping on the safeties on my shadow when pushing myself. On draws when my support hand comes onto the gun the safety on the LHS safety gets bumped. On mag changes when I "flip" the gun I bump the RHS safety with my knuckle. I have small hands and can not rest my thumb on the safety either.

I have been looking at getting a set of the Shadow thin safeties and am wondering if anyone else has used them to fix this problem and how well they worked?

Are they difficult to fit?

I am hoping to have this problem solved before Area 5.

Thanks Lee, the fitting just consists of a little filing I assume?

Just want to make sure im not gonna waste the cash and f*#k them up or have them not work.

I've had a set "drop in" on my Shadow. Recently with a Shadow T and the CZ Custom short reset, I had to remove material off of the safety to clear the sear "leg". It's not hard, just go slow with a jeweling file. Continuously reassemble and check as to not remove the function of the safety. Marking the vertical flat of the safety with some Dykem or soapstone and pushing the safety into the sear leg will give you and idea of what sort of material you are looking to remove. If you screw it up, the worst thing to happy is you have to buy another safety. I've done it on a 1911 build. You learn to pay more attention and go slower from the costly mistakes.

Klr,

The slim set are very flat and don't tend to move accidently. Pretty straight forward to fit. The pad on the shaft needs to be fitted to slip past the sear arm. Go slow.

Sounds pretty easy. I do have the SRTS on the gun but it sounds like I should be able to handle it. Im always willing to learn!

It looks like they are going to be what I need to help with my problem.

Like eerw said, just file the pad under the sear leg until you can engage it when cocked. The other option is to file the upper sear leg. The way I look at it the sear is about $14 shipped and the safeties are $90. I've done it both ways with no issues. I have also had to remove a bit of material wher the shaft mates with the RHS to get it to it without a hammer.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a set of THIN for a shadow- installed them and did not like them, was looking for replacement when I bumped in the CZ-85 ambi safety

Now in order to fit those I needed to carefully file/sandpaper the D of the safety to fit RHS.

It took an hour of careful fitting- I did not want to mess it up and the material was 1mm extended, but it worked