Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading for a STI Trojan in 40

dlfleetw

We recently changed our sizing on all 40s (165, 180, and 200 gr) due to continued customer concerns over similar issues. We now size all of our 40s to 0.400 instead of 0.401. Testing indicated no loss of accuracy or speed, and a marked increase on the ability to pass case gage checks. The tight chambers of most 1911/2011 lead to us making this change. If you would like to experiment with an alternative size just give me a call and we will get a sample out. We can even re-size the existing product if it works for you.

I do not have the issue If I use the stock Mag that came with the STI.

Not trying to stir the nest. Did you mean the gun runs fine with the stock magazine and doesn't with the 10mm tripp magazines. You are having changes done to your barrel because you don't want to use stock mags? I think it was mentioned that the stock magazine has an offset (shoulder) the pushes the bullet forward and the 10 mm trip doesn't. Does Tripp 40 magazine have the offset (shoulder)?

Did I miss something to why you are trying to use 10 mm magazines?

Trying to learn. Just bought a Trojan.

Edited by tomthumb

We recently changed our sizing on all 40s (165, 180, and 200 gr) due to continued customer concerns over similar issues. We now size all of our 40s to 0.400 instead of 0.401. Testing indicated no loss of accuracy or speed, and a marked increase on the ability to pass case gage checks. The tight chambers of most 1911/2011 lead to us making this change. If you would like to experiment with an alternative size just give me a call and we will get a sample out. We can even re-size the existing product if it works for you.

I ran a larger sample just now and I am getting .400 - 5 so they are between .400 and .401 on a larger sample size. I also checked my standard lead and they are all .400.

Thank you for your offer, and if it comes to that I will gladly take advantage of it but until i can isolate what is causing the issue won't move forward just yet.

In regards to loading shorter with the .40 mag it ran my reloads at 1.132" that I use for my M&P and factory (1.120) length ammo. What I did intially see with the .40 mag until I ejected an unfired round was a divot on the face of the bullet and a little bit of set back. I went to the 10mm as a 1.180-1.200 length was not showing any set back or signs of that divot.

Now I am unsure where the scaring is coming from. I checked all my Tripp Mags and they are running .352-.366 wide and are a little different front to back.

Curious as to why it doesn't do it with your stock mag . Check and compare your magazine feed lip width between your stock mag and the 10mm mags. I run my .40 mags with a feed lip width of around .388 +/- .004.

Also what pound recoil spring are you using?

My mags are no where close to that wide.

Curious as to why it doesn't do it with your stock mag . Check and compare your magazine feed lip width between your stock mag and the 10mm mags. I run my .40 mags with a feed lip width of around .388 +/- .004.

Also what pound recoil spring are you using?

My mags are no where close to that wide.

I started getting nose dives with some new plated bullets I started using. I thought it was the bullets until I just happened to notice the rounds in a couple of my mags were sitting at a different angle. Out of my 7 mags only 2 had feed lips that were in spec. I went off the mag tuning article off of the Freedom Gunworks page on this forum. Bobby suggest running 40 mags feed lips at .388 +/- .004. Check the thread out, as soon as I tuned my mags feed lips to these specs the gun has ran flawlessly since. Bobby is a mag tuner so he knows what he is doing.

I think I found where the rounds are getting shaved off at.

It looks like the area where the extractor cut is on the barrel is doing it.

Would that width hold true for SS mags too?

Nope... its the shoulder on the top of the chamber. Going to pull down some factory fmj to use them to see if that profile does anything. It seems like the rounds are riding tip up and the breech face isn't squaring the rounds up. Maybe its a spring issue due to the lightened slide

Will mess with the 12.5, 14, and 15 lb I have

Edited by dlfleetw

I can see where it would get the round to ride higher in the mag making it ride straight into the chamber. I am looking adding .026" width to widest mag and more to the others. Would they be .388 front to back or slightly wider at the front compared to the back?

I can see where it would get the round to ride higher in the mag making it ride straight into the chamber. I am looking adding .026" width to widest mag and more to the others. Would they be .388 front to back or slightly wider at the front compared to the back?

I tried to make mine .388 front and back. The front might be more important to get .388 than the back, but try to get both front and back as close to .388 as you can.

That is odd to me. Matt does great work and I don't see that being an issue and the area of the extractor shaving? Wow just odd issues with this gun :-/ hope you get her running good soon.

I put sharpie on the extractor cut and its still intact after about 10 loads. Guess some lead dropped lose from the upper shoulder.

Another thought hit me as I am still hitting the feed ramp low currently (notice the moly on the feed ramp) could the round hitting that low on the ramp being causing the bullet the can't enough in the case?

I started messing with one mag last night and got the feed lips to .378. Will keep working them today (went slow... and was checking feeding after every mod)

Won't make this months match at this rate.

I had the same issues when I first started with my .40 Trojan. I sent it to Virgil Tripp and he recut the ramp. Problem was solved. There seems to be an issue with angle of the ramp in the .40 SS Trojan. The only problem was that the chamber was no longer fully supported. It's my understanding that they now weld them up and recut them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I have since replace the barrel and did not want to go through that again. I'm currently running Virgil's 9rd .40 mags with zero issues with an OAL of 1.140-1.145.