Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading for a STI Trojan in 40

dlfleetw

I have been through this forum a few times searching and haven't found anything yet that shows what I am getting from my Trojan.

Stock STI (minus Trigger work and Tri-top) Trojan in 40 Smith. I grabbed this for SS and for Lim10 use. Gun is set up for either class.

I am using Tripp Mags (10mm) and am having issues with the round (a BBI TC 180 gr MOLY) hitting the feed ramp at such an angle that I am getting about .003-.005 of set back when I Load a round at < 1.175. The set back concerns me a little, but what is bothers me more is that I am also having issues where every few rounds the gun does not go completely into battery (like .003-.005") and this seems to be caused by my OAL (I have run 1.132" that were loaded for my M&P (minor loads at about 135 PF which would barely run the gun), Sub-major Loads of WSF @ 1.175 (right up to 165 PF) and Solo 1000k @ 1.180.)

Doing a barrel test it appears I have issue with the bullet shape and I need to drop the OAL down to 1.145" or so before the round will drop freely into the chamber without any resistance. The gun will run at that length but then I get back to the set back issue. It gets worse the shorter I go in the length (about .005 at my current length.)

So I am assuming I can get my chamber reamed a bit longer (Stock STI Barrel) or maybe switch mags. I do not have the issue If I use the stock Mag that came with the STI.

It has been a trial just to get all the variables in check before I went down this road and still missed that.

Curious as to why it doesn't do it with your stock mag . Check and compare your magazine feed lip width between your stock mag and the 10mm mags. I run my .40 mags with a feed lip width of around .388 +/- .004.

Also what pound recoil spring are you using?

Curious as to why it doesn't do it with your stock mag . Check and compare your magazine feed lip width between your stock mag and the 10mm mags. I run my .40 mags with a feed lip width of around .388 +/- .004.

Also what pound recoil spring are you using?

Stock recoil spring.

Will measure the feed lips tonight.

Considering reaming, as the longer I go the better the feeding gets (as far as the impact into the feed ramp is concerned)

There is another thread with a 2011 with BBI that is showing sone of the jams I have gotten (hitting the ramp low and binding entirely)

As a side note I do notice similar peening on FMJ (factory)

It is new, I am at about 250 rounds right now. Maybe 20 of those were factory the rest have been either minor loads and the rest have been working on a major load between WSF and Solo 1000.

Like the WSF loads much more than the Solo (much less snappy)

I am ordering a pack of recoil springs to mess around with.

My trojan 40 runs great with trunacated cones until the feed ramp gets dirty. Then sometimes when the round comes off of the feedlips and hits the feed ramp it locks the gun up tight. I have just started shooting round nose fp exclusively. Not a problem since.

Get your barrel throated (reemed) and load the rounds at 1.185 or at the longest length you were loading them at.

I had a simialr problem. Look for my posts. I fixed it by having the barrel throated.

The shorter bullets get setback because they have more room before the slide slams them into the feed ramp. Tighten your crimp and load long.

The reason it works with the factory .40 mag is because of the spacer in the back of the mag, making the bullet closer to the feed ramp, this can be duplicated by using 10mm mags and loading longer. It will then enter the chamber at a smaller angle and load easier.

Throat the barrel first, load long, get the right crimp, then change bullets if it still doesn't work.

I am at .421 as far as crimp goes.

Guess I need to give a few Smith's a call and see if they have time to ream/throat the chamber for me. I'd rather load out to 1.180-1.185 as it feeds well just won't completely chamber sometimes.

Since you have the Tripp mags, perhaps call them for suggestions.

I tried to use the Metalform mags that STI ships and it was a jam-o-matic, switched to the Wilson 40 mags and no problems since. I shoot lead too, which may help me.

Edited by dogtired

Trying to work one problem at a time. Haven't had mag issues (yet.. lol)

Barrel is in the way to Matt Cheely to get reamed for longer loads.

I will tackle springs once I settle my load (looks like 5.3-5.4 gr of WSF at 1.180). I am going to load out as long as I can and shorten in samples of 10 to check where the round hits the highest on the feed ramp and base my OAL on that first.

Might make it in time to run it in this months match. Maybe.

I am using the Tripp 10mm as well in my bull barrelled .40 Trojan. I use the 45 hybrid followers in them.

Load:

Bullet Frontier 180gr Truncated

OAL 1.198

Powder VV N320, 5.5gr

PF 176

I have tried the RN FP and had same issues....none on the feed or even after 700 rounds.

JFYR

A correctly set up mag vs. feed ramp & chambering. If the mag is properly set up & sits high enough in the gun then it is an almost straight push of the round into the chamber. If the mag is sitting a bit low you are driving the round into the feed ramp at an adverse angle. The feed ramp is there to slightly assist the round to enter the chamber. With Tripp mags 40 S&W or 10mm will work it's just determining which one works with your particular gun. Some people use 45 ACP mags and they work fine. Give Vergil Tripp a call and he can help you with mag height, OAL, & mag type for your gun. Use a round nose bullet either Berry 155 gr. or MG 165 gr. HP, round nose feed much better than truncated round shoulder or trucated bullets. There is no reason why an 1.135 - 1.137 OAL would not work as long as your mags are setup properly and when inserted and seated are at the correct height. Other item is that your ramp angle is improperly cut with regard to your mag when seated.

Got the barrel back from Matt. Now a weird problem has shown up. I am loading out at 1.200-1.180" and now I have what looks like the bullet hitting the chamber or a burr (haven't been able to see or feel anything.) This is happening at the top of the chamber (there is still a slight divot being created on the edge of the flat on both bullets indicating where the bottom of the bullet is vs the top)

post-20647-0-12209000-1370827585_thumb.j

Two different bullet profiles, a RNFP 180 gr plain lead at 1.200 on the left, a BBI 180 gr TC moly at 1.175" center, and a BBI 180 gr TC Moly at 1.200" on the right. All were loaded from slide lock from a 10mm Tripp 10 rd magazine. The 1.200 at hitting just below the chamber and the 1.180 are hitting about 1/4 down the ramp. Neither display any set back after multiple loadings just this mark.

Could the bullet be loaded slightly canted be causing this (all loaded on a Lee Turret (classic cast) on Lee Dies)

Edited by dlfleetw

I am going to mic the BBI and straight cast lead to see if they are oversized.

Other than that will have to look for a different bullet profile to work with (have a case of the BBI..) would a Billy Bullet or similar moly Lead work? Guess I need to find samples of both to check.

I had a similar problem, only my gun would pull the bullet on "unload and show clear." Turns out I have 5000+ bullets from Bear Creek that are .402, not so good. A buddy machined me a sleeve for my seating die with a deeper throat to guide the bullet and square it more to the case. Got some .401's and haven't had a problem since. Check everything else before you mod the gun. My .02

I checked the BBI and they are right at .401. I then took my calipers to work and verified the calibration on a set of Miyuto Gage blocks. Its true within .0005" from .124 to 2" Lower and I lose a thousandth and higher and I gain 5 or so ten thousandths. So my OAL and diameter measurements are good. Need to check the hard cast next and back down OAL in .005" increments until the the chamber shoulder doesn't contact the bullet.

I am also going to disassemble and clean my seating die to be sure there isn't any wax/residue canting the bullet when it seats. Might also partially seat rotate 90 degrees and fully seat.