Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Insurance When Flying With Guns

Pretty sure that would be covered by the NRA Insurance through Lockton.

Coverage specifically covers firearms and accessories against direct physical loss or damage. Losses such as fire, burglary or theft are covered. Theft from a vehicle is covered when it is the result of breaking and entering a locked vehicle or locked portion of a vehicle.

What does the policy specifically cover?

It provides coverage for your firearms, air guns, bows and arrows, including accessories while in the United States, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands and Canada. Coverage can be extended Worldwide for any trip. Higher limits are available for additional premiums. Please call for details.

http://www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/forms/ArmsCare_Plus_Firearms_Liability_Frequently_Asked_Questions.pdf

Section IV.

B. Infidelity of Individual Insured Member’s a) employees or B) persons to whom the insured property is entrusted. However; this exclusion would not apply in cases where the insured has hired the services of a commercial shipper, airline, train, bus line or similar service provider to transport covered property. In such cases, coverage would apply on an excess basis over any valid and collectible insurance.

http://www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/forms/ArmsCare_Plus_Firearms_Liability_Certificate_of_Insurance.pdf

I signed up for the NRA insurance, since my homeowners wanted offical appraisals for each gun insured. The NRA insurance covers accessories, scopes etc.. so hopefully if I ever need it, it will be worth it.

One thing that bothers me somewhat about the NRA insurance is that, even though I signed up for it, I have nothing to show that I did. No printed acknowledgement, etc.

Edited by Graham Smith

I took the airline insurance in the amount of $20,000 for the bag containing the weapons. They hand carried it to the plane, had someone sign off that they had received it and loaded it aboard. The same was true when we landed. I picked it up at a separate baggage claim and had to sign for it.

Well worth the investment.

BC

Most airlines offer insurance on luggage for an added fee. Most of the time it's a sucker bet, but if you are traveling with an expensive competition gun it's worth the few extra dollars to cover the cost and then some. I read somewhere that someone got $50,000 of luggage insurance for $15.

Couple thoughts on that:

If you purchase the baggage insurance through the airline, the bag is marked all the way through as something especially valuable, which may afford some extra protection, but also makes it obvious to every handler along the way that this is the bag to steal! I think it makes more sense to have decent insurance coverage on your guns that applies anywhere, through your homeowners' coverage and/or separate property insurance that applies for your firearms. Face it--you're probably just as likely to lose a gun out of your car or motel room than have the airline lose your bag.

Keep in mind that just because you buy $50K worth of insurance on your bag, your guns are still only insured for their documented value--they're not going to just write you a check for $50K. In fact, over-insuring your property is an industry-recognized fraud indicator, and may create questions and delays if you ever have to file a claim.

Best is to have a Personal Articles Policy ( or whatever your Insurance company labels it ) that covers all your guns scheduled and listed in the policy all over the world... i have mine thru State Farm and even covers my scopes and mags with no deductable.

Edited by ogiebb

Has anyone here made a claim under the NRA insurance?

Yes, when all my gear was stolen at an area match....sent the required documents and had a check in 7 days...never even spoke to an individual..too bad back then it was only 1,000 in coverage..much easier than dealing with Alfa (who SUCKS by the way).