Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

80gr Nosler Match BTHP

gerritm

I found some of these and used load data from Nosler @ 22.0gr of H335 with an OAL of 2.26" running them in a Seekins upper and lower with a Loki 18" 1/8 twist barrel. I took them to the range and fired a few in a test load to chronograph and got about 2460fps as they said. Didn't really pay too much attention to group size, but they were hitting in a good group at 200 yards. Had a match and it was very windy with some shots outs to 500 yards. I thought it would be perfect conditions to try them. Fired the first couple of rounds and one jammed nose first into the chamber, cleared it and had the next one do the same. Had a mag with my normal 69gr Sierra Match BTHP and finished the stage.

Never have any jams using 2.26 on my 69 to 75gr loads, 1st time ever. Took them home and checked all to make sure of the OAL and they were all good. Tried a couple after checking lengths and they jammed the same way. Any ideas on why? Do they need to have a shorted OAL because of the size?

Thanks,

gerritm

You need to seat them shorter. The noslers have a steep long ogive compared to VLD's but aren't as bad an SMK's. You can't go by magazine length or the standard 2.260" OAL when loading these. It will vary to your chamber throat. You may have to set them back considerably more. I know the Nosler book uses the same OAL for the 69gr, 77gr, and 80gr. But not every AR has a 5.56nato cut chamber throat. There are alot that use a 5.56 wylde, and some other hybrids, then just stamp 5.56 or .223 on the barrel and gun.

You need to make a home made OAL case guage with a spend case from the rifle and a cleaning rod part. Using the Nosler bullet and some lube, pushing it into the chamber so the bullet hits the throat and gets pushed into the case. When you pull the case out, measure the COAL without pushing the bullet in further. Subract .010" from that number and this is where you start. Do a small test batch to test for reliable feeding. You can work in .002" increments in or out for accuracy. Depending on case variation you may even need to seat slightly deeper so try working shorter before you work longer.

Seems the ammo crisis has been causing some experimentation with unexpected components. I've seen guys running 80gr SMK's thru AR's with 1 in 9 twists just fine, so don't get to frustated. Work with what you have and make it work for you. The biggest downside seems to be how much the large bullet takes up case capacity, and risk of compressed loads.

You need to seat them shorter. The noslers have a steep long ogive compared to VLD's but aren't as bad an SMK's. You can't go by magazine length or the standard 2.260" OAL when loading these. It will vary to your chamber throat. You may have to set them back considerably more. I know the Nosler book uses the same OAL for the 69gr, 77gr, and 80gr. But not every AR has a 5.56nato cut chamber throat. There are alot that use a 5.56 wylde, and some other hybrids, then just stamp 5.56 or .223 on the barrel and gun.

You need to make a home made OAL case guage with a spend case from the rifle and a cleaning rod part. Using the Nosler bullet and some lube, pushing it into the chamber so the bullet hits the throat and gets pushed into the case. When you pull the case out, measure the COAL without pushing the bullet in further. Subract .010" from that number and this is where you start. Do a small test batch to test for reliable feeding. You can work in .002" increments in or out for accuracy. Depending on case variation you may even need to seat slightly deeper so try working shorter before you work longer.

Seems the ammo crisis has been causing some experimentation with unexpected components. I've seen guys running 80gr SMK's thru AR's with 1 in 9 twists just fine, so don't get to frustated. Work with what you have and make it work for you. The biggest downside seems to be how much the large bullet takes up case capacity, and risk of compressed loads.

I just picked up 300 Nosler 77 grain 223 bullets, I have a Wylde 223 24" barrel on my AR.

I was hoping to shoot 600 yards, do you have any advice on this?

The 77gr will shoot to 600 yards easily, assuming you have the correct twist rate in your barrel (1-7 or 1-8 twist should work fine). There are many good powders out there, so take your pick. Load the rounds to mag length (2.25-2.26") and you'll be fine.

In my NRA/CMP service rifle (20" A2 model AR15) I shoot a Sierra 77gr MK over 24.0gr varget, CCI SR primer using USGI brass. I've never shot the Nosler 77's, but many folks say the shoot the very close to Sierra 77's.

As always... start low and work up.