Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is there a way ffor LNL AP casefeeder to work good

I am getting a casefeeder for my Hornady LNL AP for Christmas. It pissed me off that these things don't always work out of the box but tinkering and screwing with things is a fun hobby of mine so I will eat the big one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am getting a casefeeder for my Hornady LNL AP for Christmas. It pissed me off that these things don't always work out of the box but tinkering and screwing with things is a fun hobby of mine so I will eat the big one.

My casefeeder worked perfectly out of the box, still does.

I don't know you'll have that much to do. Waldog and CocoBolo gave some good tips, as well as others.

I may come to eat my words yet - just picked one up on a 'Midway fake clearance special' for $246, and have been loading 9mm.

I've only loaded some 500-600 9mm but some of the 'issues' become obvious - I've had one jam at top of the funnel; the funnel needs to be slightly narrower front to back to disallow a jam w/smaller pistol cases.

I get around 1 case per 150 or so upside down, not entirely sure of a fix for that, but I can live with that one if need be.

Had one 'cluster of cases' kick in the clutch, needed to tap upwards to free the feed plate.

I'll probably pick up some roof flashing like Waldog mentioned, one piece to cut a small piece to shorten the right hand side of the slot, and a second to bend up as an 'insert' to narrow the front/back of the drop tube, and see how things go from there, then try it again when I see how it does for .223.

What calibers will you be loading?

• 2 weeks later...

A little off topic but, the brass rain mentioned can be contained (not stopped) by using the net caps used in hospitals & food places. They are known by different names and were purchased by my wife as bouffant caps, the 21" work well to cover the case feeder. Listening with half an ear tells you when they are no longer dropping down the tube.

I'm got the feeder working 'well enough' and finally starting doing .223 on it. I had to make a few adjustments here and there..maybe this will help someone in the future.

Some minor updates.
9mm is almost flawless now. I carved up a WSP plastic primer tray via dremel to fill in the front part of the funnel and extend it upwards slightly. This stops the occasional blockage when a 9mm case could lodge front to back w/out dropping.
I started loading .223 with the case feeder, and had to make some minor adjustments there.
The manual will tell you to adjust the tube height so the bottom of the aluminum tube is some small amount above the case dropped and ready to be picked up on ram stroke. This works fine for 9mm, but for .223 - not so much. It took up all slack in the tube, and what took a few to sort out, was that it also put the brass feed micro-switch lever in a bad spot, so that the way the .223 stacked in the tube, you could wind up with the neck at switch height, which isn't thick enough to activate the sensor to stop brass from filling the tube, which could lead to a jam in the upper part of the funnel. You need to adjust it so as the tube fills up, both the uppermost cast fully shuts off the brass feed, and there's enough room on the bottom to feed the shells onto the plate...which winds up actually looking like 'there's not enough room,' but..there is.
Before sorting the switch activation vs case height (which yes, Hornady could make it easier with a longer switch arm, but that still might not mean zero adjustment), I carved up a Federal tray, and notched it to help fill some of the funnel...this helps guide cases in with fewer issues.
A few pics to see what I'm talking about..
Jam waiting to happen. Look at the switch, and the pair of cases. Cases will keep coming and overflow, as the upper case is jammed against the lower, wedging the switch from ever being fully engaged. In the pic below, I had to adjust the 'shell stack' upwards, but still cycle the ram to unbind the switch, which you'll see in the subsequent pic.
bZQKKC6.jpg
Correctly adjusted; note the shell positioning vs the shut-off switch wire. The piece on the side (carved up Federal primer tray) helps alleviate any other .223 jams.
KyDeZ0f.jpg
Hornady's documentation would have you adjust the bottom portion of the tube to fully clear the top of the case waiting to be picked up...this would cause the issue in pic 1. The trick is to get the sensor to just shut off properly with shells in the right position(with .223, 9mm was a non-issue), and still have enough room to clear as the lower feeder arm moves back and forth to place a case on in front of the v-block on ram stroke. You may wind up with the case mouth still inside the feeder tube instead of obviously clearing it, but there is some amount of 'wiggle room' even if it looks like it won't clear. Set the switch cutoff position first, then check if it'll feed through the tubes next, then small adjustments if any are actually needed.
ry4mABc.jpg
I made a quick 'pusher' to help with case tipping on the .223. The 'v blocks' come in 5 or 6 different sizes (all of which come with the case feeder), but they don't go all the way down to the press plate, so they push on the web vs on the rim. Haven't had any issues w/9mm, but the .223 can tip - this has helped so far. You could probably do the same with a piece of plastic, felt, etc., and just glue it to the bottom of the v-block.
2aj43Cy.jpg
Not sure I'm done with the 'tweaks' just yet or not, but at the moment, everything's running pretty smoothly..
I do get an occasional 'random brass thrown down from above' seeming to be from the hopper/collator itself..happened twice out of processing around 1k .223. I'm not too concerned as next step will be to make a lid for it to cut down on some of the noise..
Edited by rtp

The main place I've had trouble with is the toggle block. When I would cycle the press the push rod that pushes the toggle block sideways was actually pushing the whole feed mechanism up. That changed the feed angle and the movement was pretty inconsistent. i tried to tighten up the bolt that goes through the square tubing attaching it to the press but ended up cracking the pot metal. Instead of calling Hornady and paying for another piece I really didn't like I just took some angle iron and attatched it to the top and bottom. It is really solid now.

E1E4F702-2FDB-4671-98B2-DE86C2D0D722_zps

C1A83399-5CF6-49C4-97DF-0DEE121073B0_zps

9ED03F6E-14CC-4BD4-BC03-DB6CAB38A5DF_zps

• 2 months later...

Have recently ditched LNL AP case feeder due to chronic problems. Constants "twiddle" rquired to make it work. Replaced parts etc. load faster by hand feeding.

Currently considering a dillon press.

Been there myself as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Have recently ditched LNL AP case feeder due to chronic problems. Constants "twiddle" rquired to make it work. Replaced parts etc. load faster by hand feeding.

Same here. When it works it works well but more often than not I'm stuck fiddling or adjusting or un-jamming or....

I liked my LnL.. the casefeeder was a pita, but I coped and it worked decently for 6 years or so.

Now... After loading about 5k rounds on my 1050.. I may never use the LnL for anything again besides sizing and seating my precision rifle rounds.

Maybe I can sell the LNL and pickup a Forcht autodrive. .. :ninja:

Hmmm. I haven't loaded much over the winter but the case feeders certainly sped things up for me. Sometimes the cases will tilt before sliding into the shell plate but not that bad.

I'd LOVE to see how good the 650s or 1050s REALLY are compared to the Red.

Hmmm. I haven't loaded much over the winter but the case feeders certainly sped things up for me. Sometimes the cases will tilt before sliding into the shell plate but not that bad.

5k on my used 1050 that Im still learning to use vs 100k on a LnL... Its probably not even close. The 1050 case feed is nearly perfect unless a 40 gets in the 9mm. I would mention how much better the priming system is on the 1050, but I dont want to jinx it. I love priming on the down stroke.

I will give the nod to the Hornady powder measure. Much better in my opinion. I use a hornady measure on my .223 1050 toolhead.

Id still suggest a LnL to someone wanting to start reloading.. pretty simple to learn press, bushings are really nice and easy. Hornady's warranty has been great.. Even when I forced it and shouldnt have. The casefeeder needs help. I think it could be my shellplate, it tips on the same station every time.

There's a good comparison thread on NES, fairly impartial and religion free...

The case feeder speeds things up a ton when it's feeding cases, the problem is when it decides it doesn't want to do that. For me that's a handful of times per 100rnds. With foh-Tay I had it dialed in ok but needed a little piece of cardboard taped inside the funnel to keep cases from going full on sideways and blocking things (look up and you're looking into the case or at a head stamp). With 9mm I've been fiddling with it and I don't get sideways cases but now the problem is if a case is in the feed plate properly but another case is sitting on top of it then it only partially drops and jams against the sweeper gate. When that's not happening the cases decide to bounce off the ram and fall over after being dispensed down the bottom funnel.

Check that thread and read Eddie Coyl's post on page 5 on his experiences...

If you decide to make the switch to a Dillon, toss out a price that can't be refused on the LNL and case feeder.

Dillons just don't have that issue becuase they have a caliber specific part that hold the case by the rim and has a channel in the middle to allow for the case to sit flat even if the primer has some outward flow.

Dillons just don't have that issue becuase they have a caliber specific part that hold the case by the rim and has a channel in the middle to allow for the case to sit flat even if the primer has some outward flow.

They still have occasional issues, let's not kid ourselves. Every now and again, a case won't hit that station 1 slider just right and it won't slide into the shell plate.

They still have occasional issues, let's not kid ourselves. Every now and again, a case won't hit that station 1 slider just right and it won't slide into the shell plate.

While we are not kidding ourselves.... My LnL could never load 100 rds with out 2-5 problems tipping cases or similiar into the shellplate. Where as I can't remember the last time my Dillon did that. I get perhpas 1-500 issues with my 650. Big difference.

While we are not kidding ourselves.... My LnL could never load 100 rds with out 2-5 problems tipping cases or similiar into the shellplate. Where as I can't remember the last time my Dillon did that. I get perhpas 1-500 issues with my 650. Big difference.

Totally agree. That's why I sold my LNL after 6 months and bought a 650. I was trying to swim against the current and not go blue... In the end it would have saved me cash, time, and aggravation had I just bought a 650 to begin with.

I'll give any one of you guys a hundred bucks for one of your PITA case feeders. I have 2 lnl's. One with feeder one without. Like to add another. Hell I'll buy all you want to sell for a hundred apiece. You guys shoulda learned to load on the POS old rcbs equipment I had. Don't think for a minute that a Dillon won't give you fits. I for one will never own another one. Main reason I have 2 hornadys. The lnl really is a great machine if you know how to set it up

I'll give any one of you guys a hundred bucks for one of your PITA case feeders. I have 2 lnl's. One with feeder one without. Like to add another. Hell I'll buy all you want to sell for a hundred apiece. You guys shoulda learned to load on the POS old rcbs equipment I had. Don't think for a minute that a Dillon won't give you fits. I for one will never own another one. Main reason I have 2 hornadys. The lnl really is a great machine if you know how to set it up

So what you're saying then, is that either:

1. It's not properly engineered from the factory

or

2. That the manual is not adequate

Please post a video of you operating your Hornady loading at 1200 rounds per hour, or decapping/resizing at 2000+ rounds per hour.

...Please post a video of you operating your Hornady loading at 1200 rounds per hour, or decapping/resizing at 2000+ rounds per hour.

That is well beyond the speed of the LnL AP or the 650, and is unreasonable.

I can load 100 pistol rds in ~6 mins on my LnL AP, plus or minus maybe 10 seconds either way, or 1 rd every 3-4 seconds. I've timed it a few different evenings. It is a little faster than I like to work, but still achievable. That doesn't mean I can do 1,000 rds per hr with refilling primers & brass, cleaning powder spills, yanking bad cases, and yes, clearing a jam or resetting a case. etc. I never have timed it for an hour, as I usually get bored after 300-400 rds & move to tumble off lube, separate media, case gauge, box, etc.

Thanks Ben for having my back. If you're trying to load 1200 per hour, there's your problem!

It aint made to run that fast. I can comfortably run 500/hr on my lnl without problems. The hornady is as well engineered as the Dillon IMHO. The manual does indeed lack a little. What I'm saying is anyone who learned to load progressively on a rcbs piggyback or ammomaster has no trouble at all tweaking a lock n load to run 100%. I have had a 550 and a 650 and prefer the lnl. To each his own. I now have 2 lock n loads and 2 rock chuckers on my bench. After loading for 25 years, these work for me when Dillon did not. Remember, not everyone drives a F150 either even if it is the #1 selling truck in the US.

BTW I drive a Dodge too.

I have had a 550 and a 650 and prefer the lnl.

Remember, not everyone drives a F150 either even if it is the #1 selling truck in the US. BTW I drive a Dodge too.

Man, you are a glutton for punishment...

;)