Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is there a way ffor LNL AP casefeeder to work good

i like to get Hornady reloading items and recently i acquired a Case feeder. when it working good the LNL splits ammo like a champ but when the cases start falling it's a nightmare i 'll be more fast without it

. the other thing is the cases jamming with the spring not getting into the shellplate

did hornady address these problems what are your tips guys

thanks

andre

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andre -

It took me a little while to mess around with mine, but it is working pretty good now. I still get the occasional upside down case, and every now and then one gets sideways up in the top of the funnel and it fills up. One thing that seemed to help mine run more smoothly was closing down the gate where the shells drop into the funnel at the top with pistol cases. Now that mine is running pretty smoothly with pistol cases, the next adventure will be getting it to work with small rifle (.223) cases.

Good luck!

Dude- download the manual and read it. There are adjustments for both of these issues. On occasion some of these problems with still occur but it is absolutely a time saver when you get it going better. Trust me. I held out for years.

Here is a couple of pictures of modifications I made to my LNL case feeder. Small cartridge cases like 9mm will sometimes "bounce" off the case feed shuttle. I orignally solve that by taping a business card around the drop tube. That worked well but, I wanted something that was easy to swap between drop tubes. I found a piece of THIN WALL PVC PIPE. Key word here is THIN. it's only about 1/16" thick. Regular schedule 40 pvc won't work. I cut a short piece about 3 inches long and cut it length wise on ONE side only. This allows a slip fit over the drop tube. I then cut a notch in the side for the case feed shuttle. Works like a champ! I use it for rifle or pistol cases.

DSCN5569.jpg

DSCN5571.jpg

Next mod I made was to prevent cases from missing the drop chute and hitting me in the head. This is aluminum roof flashing cut to shape and attached with a 1/4" long sheet metal screw. Works well.

photo_zps2b0056eb.jpg

photocopy_zps2ce103d9.jpg

Brass Rain! No it isn't just the LNL the Blue Boys do the same thing. This happens most with 9 mm, it is the length of the case and the width of the drop funnel, when loading 9 I just cut a pice of a Primer Box and fold it into the drop shoot, no more rain. Never had rain with 45, maybe you just need to pick a bigger caliber.

Upside down cases, same cause as rain, same fix. (also afflicts the Blue Press).

Cases falling over, this is due to the case hitting the shell plate pre-maturely, adjust that cam rod to slow the push down till the shell plate is in position. Took me 50K rounds to figure that one out, since I don't read manuals. If you have you press tilted down hill for speed level it up a bit.

Tips, to stop case feeding just drop a ball point pen in the case block then it stops rocking. Put a thin flat washer under the primer punch so you don't get a hole in the press under it. Get the dillion primer push rod, long plastic rod, when the last primer feeds the slide will lock on the rod not on the last primer. Keep a can of break cleaner handy when the primer punch gets caca and powder in it with the punch depressed shoot a little in there to clean it or take it out and clean it. If it sticks on the down stroke reach under and flip the primer punch a couple times from the bottom. The dillon 650 case feed plates fit and work in the LNL case feeder fine, and vise versa. Don't be afraid to shove the primer home with authority, if brute force is not working you are not using enough, large primers take large effort to seat, seating is all the way. I give mine a good jab and know the feeling when it bottoms out.

Nothing causes more trouble than a loaded round in the case feeder, well in 45 those little 380 cases down in the 45 are a nusiance, and a 40 case with a 45 bullet is a sight to behold.

Edited by CocoBolo

The rain on my LnL was because the case was dropping too soon. I took the bowl off and elongated the holes and moved the bowl opening to the left. Fixed that issue. Even in the thread here you can see the opening the cases drop through to the chute is too far to the right. The case will drop and hit the edge of the chute. My Dillons are not like that at all. I think the Hornady is just poorly made. Bigger case don't have the issue because they drop a little later because the case is larger. The "block of plate" basically does the same thing but makes the opening smaller.

Here is a picture of the corrected chute orientation with a piece of plastic to extend the chute up. Fixed the issue.

DSC_3495.jpg

Edited by 98sr20ve

• 2 months later...

I had the same problem with cases getting stuck in the shellplate...it was not a problem with the timing of the shuttle, it was a problem with the shellplate.

I have a more detailed review of it on another forum, I will post it up when I get home

As promised

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

So...finally had a chance to spend some more time on this issue with a friend who has a flawless working shellplate.
Hornady has sent me replacement shellplates in the past, but none of them have solved my problem of cases locking up in the plate (when using the casefeeder. A lot of people have mentioned that it is likely the spring not being held down enough by the shellplate, and it seems it was (my cases were rocking when going over the spring and locking into the shellplate.
Here are side by side photos of a decent shellplate and the one I have. I'll be calling hornady on Monday about this issue to see what they say. The past couple times I've called, they didn't seem to believe me that it was a problem with the shellplates, they also states they are all tested before leaving the factory. :rolleyes:
100_2534.jpg
100_2533.jpg
100_2533edit.jpg
PROBLEM SOLVED
Edited by Onagoth

Onagoth;

If you check Youtube (I didn't look at your videos), there's a guy who has a video posted of THREE different shell plate versions. Who knows, there may be more out there than three. There is definitely a problem or there wouldn't be so many darn revisions of the shell plate. Also, as the shell transitions out of the loading area, if it's not totally engaged in the shell plate it will roll over the spring and bend it. From there, the spring is on limited life. It's a poor design, and one of the reasons I sold my LNL.

*edit*

Here's the video:

Edited by Brassaholic13

Hornady copied the old rectangular funnel that Dillon used to use. Dillon sent them with a white plastic insert that one installed for 9mom and smaller cases.

The new design is round, requires no insert and works much better.

9MM CASE FEEDER RAIN

I took the Case Feed Bowl off AND THE FEEDER APART, drilled out the 4 holes to 1/4" in the plastic piece

that attaches to the motor. (NOT THE 4 COUNTERSUNK HOLES IN THE BOWL).

This allows some rotation of the BOWL upon reassembly of the case feeder.

The right side BOWL edge NOW LINES UP WITH THE DROP SHOOT EDGE.

9MM cases now RUN and Drop,

JUST AS SMOOTH AS FROG HAIR.

My unit was manufactured 02/2010 per a label inside the feeder.

********I only handgun load.******

Edited by moonman16

I don't think the cases getting cocked is due to the shell plate ridges being rounded or hitting the spring. I think much of it has to do with the case rim hitting the shell plate opening- getting the timing perfect is a challenge as the drag from all the cases has a slight impact on this as well. If the case gets caught on either side of the opening in the shell plate it will get cocked. I played around with the timing and the adjustments of the case feeder shoe all morning. It will still cock the cases on occasion. I think slightly opening the slots in the shell plate might help a bit. Maybe I'll play around with a spare I have.

Proper/Consistent operational RHYTHM for YOUR press setup I think helps.

I think a rhythm definitely helps... although ideally you should be able to crank and not have to worry about it. It definitely occurs when I go faster. Going slow is almost 100%.

Hornady copied the old rectangular funnel that Dillon used to use. Dillon sent them with a white plastic insert that one installed for 9mom and smaller cases.

The new design is round, requires no insert and works much better.

I can't comment on the old Dillon design, but I can compare it to the Hornady, which I had up until recently. Yes, the Dillon is worlds better, but occasionally, I still get brass rain. However, it only seems to occur with 9mm and .380 auto. I'm curious as to whether or not an insert into the top of the Dillon funnel to shrink the size for those smaller shells would help.

• 1 month later...

I don't think the cases getting cocked is due to the shell plate ridges being rounded or hitting the spring. I think much of it has to do with the case rim hitting the shell plate opening- getting the timing perfect is a challenge as the drag from all the cases has a slight impact on this as well. If the case gets caught on either side of the opening in the shell plate it will get cocked. I played around with the timing and the adjustments of the case feeder shoe all morning. It will still cock the cases on occasion. I think slightly opening the slots in the shell plate might help a bit. Maybe I'll play around with a spare I have.

My experience does not square with this. I do not have to adjust the timing at all between .223, .45,.40, 9mm, .38. They all feed correctly once I got the timing set. I did have a case plate with the rounded spring-push ledge, and it caused my .223 cases to tip a lot, maybe 3-4 in 5. I compared other shell plates to the problem plate and saw the ledge difference. I looked and measured the spring lift at the entry point, and it was slightly above level with the problem plate. I called Hornady, the tech stated they had never heard this before (which I do NOT believe), and they sent me a new .223 plate, which had a wider, square ledge, and it works correctly. This happened at least a year ago, probably 2 years ago.

Mine works great only problem I have is brass getting stuck in the wheel. Right before it falls out any Ideas on how to prevent it? Ive run it with slide all the way open and all the way closed no deference other when all the way open harder to unjam them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

My experience does not square with this. I do not have to adjust the timing at all between .223, .45,.40, 9mm, .38. They all feed correctly once I got the timing set. I did have a case plate with the rounded spring-push ledge, and it caused my .223 cases to tip a lot, maybe 3-4 in 5. I compared other shell plates to the problem plate and saw the ledge difference. I looked and measured the spring lift at the entry point, and it was slightly above level with the problem plate. I called Hornady, the tech stated they had never heard this before (which I do NOT believe), and they sent me a new .223 plate, which had a wider, square ledge, and it works correctly. This happened at least a year ago, probably 2 years ago.

I am not referring to the timing of the shellplate, indeed once that's set it good. I'm talking about the timing of the case feeder shoe.

I am not referring to the timing of the shellplate, indeed once that's set it good. I'm talking about the timing of the case feeder shoe.

Me too, specifically the 2-nut adjustment of the cam wire. It has been set & forget for me. But...I did have some occasional loosening of the nuts, which I fixed with a lock nut. I thought once that the weight of the full finished bullet hopper might contribute to feeding irregularity by moving the attachment point of the cam wire, but it really was just adjusting the cam wire to the right spot. So my experience has been that once the cam wire is set up, it works correctly.

Me too, specifically the 2-nut adjustment of the cam wire. It has been set & forget for me. But...I did have some occasional loosening of the nuts, which I fixed with a lock nut. I thought once that the weight of the full finished bullet hopper might contribute to feeding irregularity by moving the attachment point of the cam wire, but it really was just adjusting the cam wire to the right spot. So my experience has been that once the cam wire is set up, it works correctly.

Mine cases still get cocked a lot. I'll have to give it a good look over at some point.

• 1 month later...

I have a LNL and I have trouble with brass ejecting consistently. I have to down stroke at just the perfect speed or it won't eject or get bound up or bounce into the case being shuttled into the shell plate. I also had to polish the bejeezes out of the toggle block. The little plastic nipple that pushes the toggle block was sticking to the block and pushing the whole assembly up and changing the feed angle. I called hornady about it and all the rep said was "nice job I would have done the same if it were mine". I also bought a shell plate #1 which is what they recommended originally for 45 acp. When it didn't work very well I called them and they told me they just recently built a plate specifically for 45 acp number 45 which I had to purchase also. So now I have a #1 shell plate as a paper weight. I like the press in some ways but really wish I had gone with a Dillon. They just look like a more quality press.

I hidnt realize Hornady had employees on this forum. My apologies but When I pay $1000 dollars for something I really just want it to work. Why should I have to be the engineer on this product? I bet if your car breaks down and it under warranty you just fix it anyway..right? Because your a real man and know how to operate power tools and don't mind spending all your time tuning something that should have been done from the factory. When I sit down and reload that is really what I want to do, not polish, bend, tweak, and make parts, just to make something work. Oh I almost forgot, Great job building the moon and the stars hero.