Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RussellM's Range Diary

RussellM

Hey guys, I have been wanting to start a range diary for a few months now and am finally getting around to it. I would like to use this as a place to document dryfire, live fire practice and match performance as well as whatever else comes to mind at the time.

Here is a bit of info on my shooting background. I watched a friend shoot a match in late 2008 and was hooked, I bought my first gun and shot my first match the next month. I continued shooting one match a month until late 2011 when I decided I was going to put in the effort to be "good" at this USPSA stuff. In December 2011 I took Mike Seeklanders competition class and learned a great deal. I followed his dryfire program as well as some of Steve Anderson's for that winter and then started Mikes live fire drills as soon as the weather broke in the spring. I quickly made B in production then one month later I made A class. I continued dryfiring about 1 hour per day and doing 2 live fire sessions per week for the majority of 2012. January 2013 I switched to the CZ Shadow, which I absolutely love and really hit the dryfire hard this past winter. All that dryfire paid off as I made M class in February. Master in Production is where I currently stand.

I have attended a few level two matches so far this year and have placed fairly well despite the fact hat my performanes were not all that great, I still make a ton of mistakes and am constantly trying to work on correcting that.

This past weekend I attended 2 matches, the First was the 2013 Ohio State Championship. I placed 5 in production at this match but my overall performance was shakey at best. I will throw up the video as soon as it is done. The other match was a local classifier match at Wayne County Racoon Hunters Club. My performance at this match was much better as I took first in production as well as HOA. To top it off I shot two 100% classifiers, so the next update I will have 3 100% classifiers going in!

Well, I think that about sums up where I am at right now. I plan to update this diary regularly so stay tuned!

Here is my match video from the 2013 Ohio State championship, aka the Buckeye Freedom Blast. I ended up 5th place in production but I am really not very happy with my overall performance, one bright spot was a stage win on stage 1.

Awesome Job Russell! I think everyone had a shaky stage or two at Ohio... It's always a pleasure to watch you shoot. Sounds like a GM card is on they way!

...or three or four....

Good to put a face with the name.

BC

Just got finished with about an hour of dryfire, I have not done any dryfire in the last few days so it was nice to get back at it. I did the first 8 drills from Steve Andersons book then a few of my own. I normally do live fire practice on Tuesday and Thursday mornings but the weather screwed that up today so I am going to try to get out tomorrow evening if the weather will cooperate.

• 1 month later...

Well, I officially made GM in production with todays update! This was one of my shooting goals I wanted to reach by the end of this year, it has taken 18 months of hard work to get from C class to GM. I think the really hard work starts now!

Well, I officially made GM in production with todays update! This was one of my shooting goals I wanted to reach by the end of this year, it has taken 18 months of hard work to get from C class to GM. I think the really hard work starts now!

I noticed that. Congratulations! Nice work on the Ryan Rocks match too.

Sunday we were playing a game of who could screw up the most stages :) I even got a reshoot on a stage I had a Mike on and during the reshoot got a Mike again. Forgot a target on another stage. We had a great time though so I'm not complaining.

I won an STI frame kit!!! You may see me shooting open someday when I eventually get it and send it off to a smith.

Yup, standard frame kit. Aww, I thought I was the only special one.

I had talked to Matt Cheely a few times about getting an open gun built but money and life keep getting in the way. This will probably send me over the edge though and actually make me order one.

Yup, standard frame kit. Aww, I thought I was the only special one.

I had talked to Matt Cheely a few times about getting an open gun built..... <snip>

The dark side is calling you..... James... James... the dot is so easy to shoot.... James.... :roflol:

Matt's backup on new gun builds is at least 8-12 months if not longer. My suggestion is to have him get your frame (he's an FFL) and jump in line.

BC

Congrats on making GM!!! Was one of the first things I noticed looking at the IN Section results. Way to go! Congrats on 2nd place at the IN match, too!

-rvb

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my video from the 2013 Area 8 Championship. I went into this match with the intention of just having fun and not so much worrying about where I finished which I think is the right mindset for me right now. I ended up 5th in production @ 88% and also won stage 7! I am happy with my overall performance, it seemed like something just clicked and I was seeing things better than ever. I will be shooting the Michigan State Championship this coming Sunday and I am going to try to shoot this match the same way.

Edited by RussellM

I ran this drill a couple of times this morning after my normal practice session, just wanted to see what I could do. Ended up being .71 first shot and 16 Alphas in 3.32 seconds. The distance was 5 yards.

Edited by RussellM

• 2 weeks later...

I just got home from shooting the 2013 Rockcastle Pro Am 3 gun Championship. This is probably the most fun I have ever had at a match. The facility was awesome as were the staff, stages, food and prizes. This was the first 3 gun match I have ever shot and I ended up finishing in 7th place in the amateur tac-ops division which I am super happy with. I did have some problems here and there but over time I will get them worked out.

I also ended up winning the Para usa side match and got to meet Travis Tomasie in the process. The Para side match consisted of 10 pepper poppers at about 10 yards and a Para 14-45 loaded with 10 rounds, from low ready my time was 3.92 with no misses. The prize for winning the match was a Para Pro Custom 18.9. I have never really shot a 2011 style gun and I must admit that the Para was a real joy to shoot.

• 1 month later...

Well, its been a few days since I got home from production nationals and I have had some time to think about the match. I ended up in 33rd place. I had a couple of bad stages, 2 stages with gun problems and 6 where I placed in the top 10 and a few that went ok, so really a mix of everything. I am going to spend the next week or 2 figuring out what I need to work on for next season and get a plan together. On a better note I spoke to the bullet guy today and will have 50,000 bullets headed my way for next year very soon.

Edited by RussellM