Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New XL650 ... primer magazine stuck inside of primer shield.

A couple of weeks ago I had made a post regarding the primer magazine being stuck inside of the magazine shield and thought that whenever I changed from the shipped and installed large primer system to the small primer system (which I am now doing) I would have been able to get the magazine unstuck once I disassembled the primer system but the little allen set screw on the bottom of the primer body/magazine shield only holds the shield in place.

So my question is..

Is there any way to get the primer magazine unstuck without having to put a pair of pliers on it and forcing it out? I did use a pair of pliers on it whenever I first received the press but I didn't want to force anything and didn't pull or ply up with the pliers very much. Am I right in assuming the brass end on the magazine may have been shoved into the magazine tube/shield during the manufacturing process and am I correct believing that the primer magazines should pull right out of the shield very easily with my fingers?

I'll give Dillon a shout tomorrow but thought I'd throw it by you guys here to see if there were any immediate responses.

Thanks

Thanks Arlin, thats exactly what I thought but it's definitely shoved down in there tight. There's a Dillon dealer about 45 minutes away from me so my wife is going to run the primer assembly by them tomorrow to see what they think, hopefully it won't be something that needs to be replaced and another long wait for parts and pieces from Dillon.

Got a bunch of .45 autos loaded up and I was really hoping to load some 9mm this week!

Edited by StevieRay

Called Dillon and the service rep told me to take a small pin punch and after removing the primer plate to tap the magazine out from the bottom, then he said to look around for any burs or bad spots around the housing or shield and don't be afraid to file it out ... also said he was sending me a new magazine because more than likely it was done during assembly at Dillon and the brass end is scarred up.

I tapped the large primer magazine out from the bottom and it actually came out very easily....

IMG_4052_zps71b9ff6f.jpg

The culprit seems to be either glue or maybe tape residue on the brass end, even after cleaning it up it still has just enough of a coating that it will not slide in and out of the shield and housing without force and then I still had to lightly tap it out from the bottom with the punch. The tape or glue was the only issue and no burs or bad spots on either the housing or shield.

IMG_4062_zpse6a42207.jpg

Easy fix!

• 5 months later...

Having returned to reloading after a 10+ year hiatus, I recently purchased a 650XL and now am at the point of installing primer tube. (First attempt was not successful....ugh, primer blockage as it turned out in the tube).

My unit came with 2 large and 2 small primer tubes with two of them having a brass fitting on one end. The primer tubes without the brass end piece are shorter by almost 3 inches (including the fixed brass fitting).

First, is it typical for the tubes with the brass fitting being longer?

Second, the brass end does not have holes in which to insert the clip to keep the primers from falling out of the tube. Is this normal?

Third, what keeps the primers from flipping or rotating in the primer magazine when inserting either style of primer tubes (long one with brass fitting or shorter one with plastic end which has holes for retaining clip)?

As noted, my first attempt at using the large primer tube with a brass end tube with 10 + large pistol primers was not successful with only 3 primers properly feeding when a "blockage" occurred.

All assistance appreciated. Thanks.

I would highly recommend you review the instructions, refer to page 27 for instructions on the primer system. The tubes with the brass ends go inside the black vertical tube, they convert it to either small or large primers. Those tubes with the pin holes are used to fill the brass tipped tubes once they are inserted in the black steel tube.

http://www.dillonhelp.com/manuals/english/Dillon-XL650-Manual-May-2007.pdf

Having returned to reloading after a 10+ year hiatus, I recently purchased a 650XL and now am at the point of installing primer tube. (First attempt was not successful....ugh, primer blockage as it turned out in the tube).

My unit came with 2 large and 2 small primer tubes with two of them having a brass fitting on one end. The primer tubes without the brass end piece are shorter by almost 3 inches (including the fixed brass fitting).

First, is it typical for the tubes with the brass fitting being longer?

Second, the brass end does not have holes in which to insert the clip to keep the primers from falling out of the tube. Is this normal?

Third, what keeps the primers from flipping or rotating in the primer magazine when inserting either style of primer tubes (long one with brass fitting or shorter one with plastic end which has holes for retaining clip)?

As noted, my first attempt at using the large primer tube with a brass end tube with 10 + large pistol primers was not successful with only 3 primers properly feeding when a "blockage" occurred.

All assistance appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by retarmyaviator