Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem with older .45 reloads

Mliebs

I have a couple thousand .45 that I reloaded a few years ago and never used so I thought I'd try them out this week. I used .45 for my Kimbers but sold all of them and didn't have a 45 until I purchased a new TRP. This week I took a box of my reloads with me and 2 of them got stuck in the throat. The first one wasn't bad but I thought maybe I just made that one a hair longer. The second one stuck in there pretty good so I obviously didn't try any more. Out of seven rounds 5 were good. Here's a picture of one of the bullets that were not working. The bullets are Precision and I looked at some of the others and I have two different bullet profiles. The two that got stuck were fp's. After looking at the round nose version it looks like it has a slightly longer shoulder that I could bring down to the top of the brass. The RN bullets are loaded to a 1.265 oal and the fp are set at 1.23. Can I run these through the seating die and double check the crimp or are they just garbage now? Here's the specs on both bullets. I don't see the 230g rn listed on Precisions website but I'm 99.9% I bought them there about 4 years ago. I do know the fp's are Precisions for sure. I know I should have kept better records on what they are but at the time my wife and I were going through 2000+ rounds a month so I just kept the information on a dry erase board. Lesson learned.

230g fp

5.1 W231

oal: 1.23

crimp: 473

bullet diameter right above crimp: 452

230g rn

5.1 W231

oal: 1.265

crimp: 473

bullet diameter right above crimp: 452

post-47561-0-78878300-1369686286_thumb.j

Edited by Mliebs