Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beginner shooting questions

I have a couple of question with regards to shooting.

STI 45acp Briley barell 230g LRN 3.5g N310

I am very new to pistol shooting so many of my problems are most likely technique ( or lack thereof!)

1/ Gun is sighted in and shoots well at 10 yards I can keep most in the 10 ring however I get a couple of shots every magazine (16) that are grouped together at a 7 oclock position??

2/ when I move to 25 yards I am now 4" high? and still get shots that are at 7 oclock compared to the rest of the group (if you can call it that)

3/ what determines the recoil spring size, I have gone from 17.5ls to 11lbs and as far as I can tell there is no difference except the slide is easier to pull back.

Is this a shooting, loading or gun problem?

Thanks

Jon

Edited by lazyeiger

7 oclock hits are often trigger jerks or flinching. The load seems OK, but N310 leaves very little room for a mistake. Double charge with 310 can be bad mojo. Look at some of the online ballistics programs to see what that load does. You will need the velocity to get a good picture of what is going on.

The recoil spring is mostly decided by you. The recoil impulse will vary from spring to spring & people change springs so they can control the recoil & be back on target quicker. Really if you are shooting groups & not competitions where speed is important, recoil impulse doesn't really matter to you.

For shooting groups, fire each shot as an individual shot, aiming at the same point on the target every time. Don't watch where you hit, don't try to make the shots land together, shoot each one as if it is the only shot you are firing today. If you still have flyers, it may be your loads. Also, sometimes the first round out of a magazine--the one that is hand loaded by pulling back the slide & letting it drop-- will be a flyer. Hand cycling is not the same as cycling during firing.

TH318, thank you! now if I understood what "squeezing fingertips while appling trigger pull" actually meant I would be home free!

You're squeezing all your fingers while pulling the trigger. Your trigger finger should be the only finger changing position and/or tension while pulling the trigger.