Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need recipe for Clays UNIVERSAL and 230gr Nosler HP 45acp

glockdude1

How about a recommendation to stop and reconsider? Universal is a poor choice for .45 unless you're one of those "recoil doesn't bother me!" types or its the only pistol powder you have/can get. You won't get complete combustion at lower pressures, and the recoil gets bad real fast.

Regular Clays, or WST are much better choices.

What does your reloading book tell you?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you should have an idea of min/max for powder and bullet combo. Don't rely on others for their recipes, they won't be there when you blow up your gun.

Edited by stick

My reload book only has regular Clays numbers and not Universal...

I bought this Universal because it came highly recommended by a respected member on this website..a gentleman named Carden

Thought I would take his advice..

Loaded some up at 5.1gr at 1.25 OAL and it seems good, but is pretty dirty..

Just wanted to know if anyone else has a recipe..

Edited by glockdude1

IIRC, the data on Hodgdon's web site starts much lower than the data in my Speer #14. If you start as low as Hodgdon says you can, the velocity will be sad (600fps or so), and combustion incomplete. If you want 800fps, I'm fairly sure Universal will take you there safely

Carden recommended it as a general pistol powder, or specifically for .45acp? I like Universal for 9mm and have gone through jugs of it. For .45, regular Clays or WST.

My reload book only has regular Clays numbers and not Universal...

BTW...if you're not aware, hodgdon.com has lots of load data online for Hodgdon/Winchester powders.

So, you bought Universal specifically for loading .45acp? Yuck. What sort of velocity do you want? I've read some say it makes a good full power bowling pin shooting load...but if you just want to make major PF or don't even care about making PF, it's the wrong powder for this caliber.

• 3 weeks later...